Bayliner Rebuild

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently acquired a 1986 Bayliner Capri Cuddy, 20' w/ a 350. I've posted a few challenges ahead of me here and thanks so much to all for the advice.<br />Next - <br />The guy I got the boat from put new plywood on the deck. It is screwed and glued. I asked about the stringer and hull condition and he said that they seemed okay.<br />I want to be sure so I am gonna get the wood back up. When I replace it am I supposed to fiberglass over it to ensure it's watertight? Should I put foam down first?<br />If no 'glass, how do I ensure that it is watertight due to spills, wet dogs, etc?<br />Also the seat mounts are plywood, but glassed in to the hull. Do they need to come out (with a sawzall and dremel, I imagine) and be replaced as well? The mounts are pretty solid, but I haven't been able to get under them yet.<br />I guess one of my dilemmas is would it be easier and smarter to cut all the stuff out and start with a hull a rebuild from there.<br />Thanks folks.

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bayliner Rebuild

Friz, There are hundreds of sites on the web offering good boat repair advice (often accompanied with detailed photos of the work). If your lucky you might even see your own boat make and model of boat with the same problems being repaired.<br /><br />Do a google search such as:<br /><br />+"boats" +"repairs" +"floors" +"transom" +"stringers"<br /><br />Modify any of these words as necessary to find all the possible websites. The pluses and quotes I added are qualifyers that require these exact words be found in the website you are looking for. By changing the words (either adding or individually taking them away) you can broaden or narrow your search.<br /><br />Here are some typical links I found from a search I just did for you on your question:<br /><br /> http://www.fiberglassboattransoms.com/Floors.htm <br /><br /> http://www.capndsboatshed.com/partfloorrepl.htm <br /><br /><br />Here is very good link to a large group of Mako boat owners who all have or are rebuiling their boat transoms, floors, stringers, etc. from the ground up. They each include detailed work logs and photos. Everyone should spend some free time viewing this site...its amazing what dedication these guys have to their restoring their rotted out boats. It also teaches you why some of the problems occur to begin with and how to prevent them in the future:<br /><br /> http://www.classicmako.com/projects.htm <br /><br />Good luck!

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks EZLoader, for the links and the direction.<br />I'll do some more searching and pick up some books on decks, fiberglass, electrical, and the engine service manuals.<br />I'm always looking for opinions and ideas, as well as trying not to make mistakes that others have learned by (the hard way).

toddbritton

Recruit

hey i have a bayliner capri and i am trying to find out how to get the seats out to they r the one that sit back to back and fold down flat and the plywood boxes underneath them is solid if you find out how to get the out could you let me no how or were you found it thank my email is angelabuoy@msn.com

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

todd, I have had my seats off but did not remove the plywood base but I think they can be removed by accessing the inside. I have the kind that are front to back fold down into a sort of bed. I folded them down and looked under the seat. There is a sort of hinge that can be removed from under the seat. Remove this on both the front and back seat. This should allow you to remove the seat and access the inside of the base. I think youll find the base is screwed to the floor. I have an 88 Bayliner Capri 1950

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

todd, vatter,<br />The seats were already gone when I got my boat. I don't know if they folded down or not. The plywood boxes underneath are solid, but I may remove them to modify the seating arrangement.

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Friz:<br /> todd, vatter,<br />The seats were already gone when I got my boat. I don't know if they folded down or not. The plywood boxes underneath are solid, but I may remove them to modify the seating arrangement.
toddbritton,<br />I took a look at the mounts in my boat and can tell by the channels in the wood that they did fold down.<br />If you like, I can send you some pictures of the plywood mounts to see if that will help.

Realgun

Commander

YTou might want to take a look at the rebuild in my signature. <br />V<br />V<br />V

rbezdon

nice pics realgun. I have the floor issue too but I havent had the time or desire to rip it out. I think the foam may be stealing all the performance from my new engine though, and that really pi$$e$ me off after all the work and money on that. To tell you the truth, I am a Bayliner fan, fantastic boat for the $$ but I am afraid to put more into this one. I put 4 grand in it last year and redoing the interior would be a couple more to say nothing of the time. I am considering dumping it and getting a newer boat. Dissappointing after putting all the work on the mechanical stuff.

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice work, realgun. That's what I am gonna have to do to my boat. You gave me a lot of tips and opened the door for me to learn how to do it right the first time.<br />Thanks

Realgun

Commander

Just giving back what I got here! I am also in the same boat so to speak vatter41.<br /><br />Personally I would repower my boat with a new engine before I bought a new boat for 1 reason. <br /><br />-I know EXACTLY what my hull has in it and there will be no surprises.<br /><br />OTOH there are people with loads of money who can buy a new boat, not me.

rbezdon

Realgun, what did you do for the vynl on the seats. Most of mine is not in bad condition except the two seats next to the engine cover in the rear and the rear deck cover. These are fairly cracked. I hate to put in a couple grand to completely redo the interior so say nothing of the fact that I am a gear head and I hate sewing, reupholstry and fiberglass. I have redone a couple of cars including the iterior and body work with fiberglass and Bondo so I know I hate it from experience. I would just like to repair the 3 pieces of damaged vynl and be done with it but I have no idea where to get the same color pattern as the OEM stuff in there now.

Realgun

Commander

Those are not the original laydown seats. I cheated and bought 4 pedistals and the bass seats that go on top. :D Cost was a bit less than new lounge seats. The other cusions were done by my dad favorite shop and 5 cushions were 300 dollars.<br />I will be redoing those to match but not soon.<br />I need to do the sides but am having issues with getting started. :D

realgun,<br />how did you get the measurement for the size of the replacement floor.<br />thanks<br />daniel

Realgun

Commander

<br />realgun,<br />how did you get the measurement for the size of the replacement floor.<br />thanks<br />
A tape measure. :D <br /><br />I measured from side to side every three inches and then cut the plywood. Moslty it was a good fit hoever I also had to remeasure across a section as it was way over! I measured from the cut area where the floor was. Above the floor was nice and shiny and below was dull line were easy to see.<br /><br />There are fout sections in the boat.<br />The rear was fairly square but the middle buldged and the front tapered quite a bit.<br /><br />Another way is to get a straight piece of wood and lay it across the stringers. Then measure from the point the wood touches on 1 side to the other where you touch the side.<br /><br />Hope this helps!

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I got a bit smarter on fiberglass application. I am about to begin tearing out the old floor and seat mounts.<br />When rebuilding seat mounts and the cuddy wall, how do I attach new sealed wood to the side of the hull before 'glassing? Is epoxy strong enough?<br />The floor to stringer seems stout enough and of course all seat mounts will bolt to the floor, but i was thinking that there would also be a lot of strength in fastening them to the side of the hull.

Realgun

Commander

I used some epoxy and glass fibers. lots of glass fibers to make a stiff compound that I put on the floor and hull.<br /><br />My pedistals actually are mounted directy to the floor! I made round plywood cutouts a bit larger than the pedistals then drilled hole and installed T-Nuts on the bottom. I then glued this to the floor with the same epoxy glass fiber stuff on the sides. Works great and they are very study. I took a 4 ft wave WOT and smacked the seat pretty hard. I am pretty heavy too. :D