Bayliner....no clearance to remove steering cable?

Hi boating friends,

Having an issue removing a steering cable from my Bayliner Capri. I've unbolted the rack and pulled it out from the trim panels on the side, unhooked the steering arm from motor and loosened the retaining nut. All ready to go....but.

I now see I have no clearance to pull the cable back through the hull...fiberglass structure there prevents that.

do I have to support and manipulate the motor to get this out? If so, I may just tap out and take it to a shop that has the proper hoist to do so.....

Video of what I'm looking at:

any suggestions/tips?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Most outboards are changed by removing the motors bolts and holding it with a hoist/engine gantry/ tree and chain hoist to slide it to port

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect cable from helm.
Hoist motor up and back to remove cable from motor.
Pull old cable out the stern.

Buying a small engine hoist from HF or Northern tool or ebay for $99 - $179 would be cheaper than taking it to a shop, and a lot faster this time of year.

61858_W3.jpg

dwco5051

Commander
Depending on the size of the motor two people can slide it over enough depending on the width of your transom at the splash well. There is usually enough slack wiring and fuel line nothing needs to be disconnected. Connecting up the motor first and the helm second is usually better but not always depending on your layout.

Thanks for the input. It's pretty much what I expected the answer to be....not looking forward to removing those transom bolts. ug.

Agreed that renting or even buying a hoist will be cheaper...just have to determine if the time makes sense. First things first, I have to make sure I can get the replacement cable in hand.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I installed a 1/2" lag bolt in the header of the garage door. That and a cum-a-long (cable hoist), will lift the OB, if you have enough height.

You can skip the hoist, drop the trailer tongue, connect a chain from OB to header and then raise the tongue and pull the mounting bolts.

Marathon Man

Cadet
If you are going to hire it out, consider buying a hydraulic steering system with a 2 piece tilt tube rod. (Uflex, Seastar, Vetus, Mophorn etc.)
You can saw or cut the old cable to remove it, and use the old cables to pull the new hydraulic lines. You will not have to remove or move the motor, and you can do it yourself for about the same money a shop will charge you to install a new cable.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
I did this job on bayliner capri, as stated above cut the old cable out and remove from helm this way no lifting motor. You can get the new cable in but you have to file the out a little bit to get cable through. Most important is to CLEAN out the hole the new cable will go into piece of old cable will sandpaper will work attached to a drill.