Bayliner Floor

PT

Seaman
Im ready to buy the plywood for my floor.From what i read i need to buy abx or aax plywood. If i can get marine plywood is it better than these other 2 or just the same.I am using the Thicker polyester resin & a fiberglass cloth to cover it.What i thought about doing was cutting my pattern out just like its going to lay on the floor & fiberglass it before i put it in & then do it again once i lay it in, with 2 coats on top.

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: Bayliner Floor

I used AC exterior. I cut it to shape, coated it with poly on both sides and extra on the exposed edges. I then glassed the floor in and it is more solid than what was there originally.

PT

Seaman

Can i do it this way & get gr8 results, what i plan to do is cut the shape of the plywood then fiberglass top side with woven fiberglass & just use resin on the bottom side let it stand till harden, sand the top of the stringers & the sides of the boat where the plywood will lay, sand the bottom of the resined plywood apply resin to the top of the stringers& the sides & lay the plywood in place, let it stand till hard, sand the top sides(plywood) & sides of boat & resin it with woven again let this stand till hard, then go over it again with just resin, each time i use resin i should sand it after it has dried of course is this correct? My 1st time doing this. & thanxs to this board (members) for all the gr8 information.

PT

Seaman

when you say glassed it in you do mean resin correct? Poly resin....

PT

Seaman

I cut out my floor pattern today & put the first coat of poly on both sides, woven on top side.I noticed when it had dried that it was not perfectly flat, it has a slight bow in it. Im gonna put some heavy weights on it when i put it in the boat so i can poly the sides to the boat hull.I figure once the resin drys it will hold its self.Its like a rocking chair, push down one side & the other side comes up. Any body ever have this happen & if so how did you fasten it to the hull.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PT use your weights for the center areas or screws! and use 1xs run down from the top edge of the hull and clamps to hold down or pull the edges of your floor in place then cut small strips of mat and wet them with resin and tack your edges to the hull every 12"-18" let it cure then you remove weghts and 1x's and glass everything at on time Note use some strips mat wetout with resin between stingers and floor will help your bond between them (Mat is for adhenson, Woven is for strength) ;)

PT

Seaman

ty Jomac, i did pretty much that,I resined the stringers & set my top down on it then i put down mat all around moving wights as i went,let that section dry then move on, next i going to go around the whole floor with Woven :D & for satisfaction I will cover whole floor with resin again. That will be 3 coats of resin all over. if thats not enough it can Rot in you no where. My hats off to all members who contribute to help others, Gr8 site keep up the excellant work ;)