Bayliner Capri 18': biggest motor?

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Bayliner Capri 18': biggest motor?

...now thats good info...20" or 25"...any guesses?
I can stop by this place and measure it to check it. Isn't that distance the (approximate) distance between the power head (underside of cowl area) down to where the lower unit bolts on the bottom?
Is this correct?...is that about where I would measure? I wouldn't know necessarily by looking at it.
As well, I read somewhere else that a 25" long shaft won't work or fit on the Bayliner Capri 18's....why not? What would be the problem with that apart from having your prop a little deeper in the water?
What does the 'offshore' element mean?
I think this came off some of the local coast guard/government boats. This is possibly a good thing....government stuff (particulary coast guard and/or fisheries/marine departments) are usually well maintained and are sold after a fixed period or hours which ever comes first. I don't know this as pure fact...but I'm fairly sure. The seller is purely a gov. distribution house. They don't know much...but welcome whatever you want to do to feel good about what you are buying....so long as it doesn't affect their pension plan.

MikDee

Banned

If you have a 20" transom, a 25" deep shaft motor won't work, The extended shaft would slow the boat down drastically, and it would throw water everwhere to the sides, and back with a big rooster tail, and it would put undo stress on the transom, by wanting to rip off of it! I've seen this first hand, on a friends boat yrs ago, so I know. Unless you can take out a 5" section, years ago you could do this, I don't know about modern motors, they used to sell a kit to do this, back in the day, my Dad had a fairly new 1962 Evinrude big twin 40hp with a 15" shaft, and we took the lower unit apart, and added a splined 5" shaft extension, and an extension cover piece to make it a 20" shaft motor, so I could use it on my boat, it was no big thing back then, to have it either way.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

The term 'offshore' usually refers to a salt water environment so it would be of higher quality metals. It would also refer to rougher waters, where a deeper transom would be a more sea worthy boat.

If you hang a 25" motor on a 20" transom it will perform like a 100HP motor with the bow in the air.

I also would stay away from a jack plate to bring it up as this motor in 25" form would weight a bit more too - it's just not a good idea for your boat if it is indead a 25".

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

UPDATE:

According to NADA.com the offshore motor only came in an 'XL' meaning 25" and weighing 417 lbs.

It is possible that someone put a different cowl on this motor so verify the model number.

Either way it's a heavy motor for that boat, and low book is 2300 - 2400.

I'd look for a 1990+ Evinrude 140HP V4 or 135HP merc V6.

Let us know what happens.

Bigprairie1

Commander

you know jddenham...thats kind of the way I feel about it.
Its a bit more than what I feel I would need...if I had to replace my motor.
I know lots of guys looking for this size....the ol' go big or go home routine.
The feedback on the transom length/height vs. the lower unit length makes good sense. I think I would require a 20" for sure. I don't know what this one is length wise.
I've got tonight to think about it....I wish it was closer to a more appropriate size, etc for what I would target. There is a good chance it would up being Garage candy for 6 months.

MikDee

Banned

Your transom is most probably 20", that is the standard for most average size outboard boats nowadays (go take a yardstick, and measure it). Then measure the Mariner from where it sits (rests) on top of the transom to the cavitation plate, just above the prop. This will determine shaft length, and will be the deal maker, or deal breaker. Like I said if the shafts too deep, bad things will happen, that motor will spit spray everywhere, and try to lift the transom, and or lift, & spin, itself off the transom.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think i measured my '86 capris transom to be 24", but thats a lot older model and i may be wrong about it.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have to measure the invisible line of the transom if it were 90 degrees from level. From the bottom center of the boat straight up to the top of the transom at a 90 degree angle.

rqbayliner

Cadet

I have a 1992 Capri 1800 BowRider with a factory installed Force 120HP engine. This combination works great !!! I did a speed run on calm water, trimmed out perfectly, with just myself on the boat, and all the extra gear removed. I got up to 48 MPH !!! With (4) average people and loaded for a weekend (cooler, drinks, etc...) I can get up to 38 MPH very easy. In my humble opinion a 120 HP is plenty for this boat.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Wow, resurrection of a relatively old post...darn near forgot about that.
Since this was posted, I took Frank A's advice and propped up to a 17pitch prop and can now tickle about 42mph whereas before I was able to just reach 39-40ish on the original 15pitch prop. Now all of that is measured only on the speedo and it not GPS accurate so I don't know my real speed.
After having exceptional luck (?) with this 90hp Force I'm now hesitant to change it for anything. Why putz with a good thing? We have now used this original boat/motor combo about 65-70 times over 2 seasons and it has never left us anywhere or failed to run well. I can not find any reason to complain at all...that boat has now completely paid for itself based on the amount of trips/outings vs. renting a boat.
Anyhow, ff the original 90hp motor goes, I have a spare 91'/90hp in the basement that I would throw on to keep going.
Like someone once said here, one of the good things about the Force engines is you can buy them for about the same price as a lawnmower.
Hanging in there
BP ;):)

greenecarpet

Recruit

I have a 19' Bayliner 1986 with a 125hp they said the biggest motor could only be 140 hp so yours is a little smaller.
Anyone know what the biggest reasonable (outboard) power a Bayliner 18' capri bowrider will take?
(forget the factory nameplate...it only states what the boat came with).
I've seen them 'optioned' with Force 120/125hp's....so I assume that is a no brainer.
Anybody running them with more than that?...and if so how'z it working out?
Thanks.
(...I'm having vague thoughts about powering up to a Mariner 150hp....but it's a fleeting thought only at this point).
Many Thanks.