Bayliner Capri 18': biggest motor?

Bigprairie1

Commander
Anyone know what the biggest reasonable (outboard) power a Bayliner 18' capri bowrider will take?
(forget the factory nameplate...it only states what the boat came with).
I've seen them 'optioned' with Force 120/125hp's....so I assume that is a no brainer.
Anybody running them with more than that?...and if so how'z it working out?
Thanks.
(...I'm having vague thoughts about powering up to a Mariner 150hp....but it's a fleeting thought only at this point).
Many Thanks.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bayliner Capri 18': biggest motor?

Out board ?? for a Bayliner Capri ?? What model is it ??

Bigprairie1

Commander

I'm pretty sure it's an '1800' Capri Bowride (1990).
I have included another quick sideview of it here. Again, I'm sure these came with the 120/125hp as an upsize option.
I've also seen a lot them repowered with bigger motors. I'm just trying to get some feedback on this as to what might be a reasonable maximum size motor to go with if I ever repowered the boat...which we like a lot.
As well, it currently runs fine...no issues yet.
Many Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 5

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

The hull is exactly like mine, If it has an out board why does it have side vents??? OK now I am really stumped:confused: That hull is designed for an inboard engine like mine. A V-6 or V-8 engine. Was the engine pulled out of the engine compartment?? whats there now, just a cover over the engine compartment?? I wish you had more pics. Does any one else know what I am asking..The hull has the air intake and output vents.

Attachments

• BOAT01.jpg
    BOAT01.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Side vents take care of venting the fuel tank area. Required if the tank sits in an enclosed area. Doesn't matter whether it's an in or outboard.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Wavenbye...there are some alternate capri models out there.
You are right, many of these capris came with the i/o option (and a few with the 'ol L drive) but many as well came with the outboard option. They are so close to being identical you can easily see what Bayliner did in the back of the boat to accomodate both options.
Here is another picture of it at the dock showing the outboard engine area w/ the Force 90hp option. You will probably recognize most of the boat.
This is a 1990 model. In 1991 (1992?) they kept the same hull shape but the graphics were different and they painted everything below the rub rail solid colours (red, blue, other colours?).
I've seen probably 4-5 others pretty much identical to mine in the 1-1/2 months I've owned it.
By the way.....you're capri is a great lookin' boat. I love that i/o option as well...maybe next one.

Attachments

• IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 4

Bigprairie1

Commander

........oh yeah, on the outboard boats the vents are fake and the hull is solid behind them. They cut out behind the vents on the i/o boats to actually provide ventilation.
I stumbled across this info when I was taking a closer look at a 91' i/o boat.
Ahoy & Regards.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

WOW I just learned a couple of new things,COOL, Yours is a sharp looker too, I honestly have never seen a Bayliner with our hulls with an out board, I have waved to many just like minesame color,talked to them on the water to compare notes, but never an out board, well thanks for answering all my questions, Just never seen them like yours,>>>Pat

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back to your question; I am repowering my 1989 17' capri that originally came with a 85 force also. The two (main) issues at play here are weight of the motor, and stress on the transom(thrust).

The force 85 is a three cylinder engine I believe, weighing around 255lbs. The force 125 is a four cylinder weighing in at 300lbs.

Not much more difference than an extra 5 gallons of gas.

As far as thrust and stress on the transom; if you have a healthy transom it should be no problem. Go over to the boat restoration and rebuilding forum to find out how to diagnose.

Prop choice will come into play here also. You do not want a low number pitch or you will put uneccessary stress on the transom. With an over sized engine I would use a 19" minimum, if not a 21 or greater. Also, with the gas tank already in the rear, and an extra 50 lbs of motor, you definately do not want a prop with bow lifting properties! Go to the prop forum for advice on this, but not until you have an accurate tach installed, and a baseline prop working.

Hope this helps, I will be fitting an inline six cylinder merc 150HP in the next couple weeks on a manual jackplate.

James

Bigprairie1

Commander

...yeah I see lot of references to 18' Capris repowered with bigger motors. The transom back end design is pretty heavy duty by future of it's shape providing a multiple gusset affect so I'm not overly worried. The old(er) boats tended to have a long spanning transom with minimal additional support.
Regardless, I've posted a thread under the mercury/mariner website to find out how to compression test a 'palletized' motor laying on it's side. It's a Mariner 150efi. The distributor doesn't know anything about it and welcomes me to do whatever I can to it to test it....while it's laying on it's side on the pallet.
Hopefully I'll get enough feedback that will enable me to go back there with a battery and connect it to 'something' to spin the motor over. Hmmm, we'll see.
Wish me luck (or advice....I'll take either).

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

BigPrarie1 I see that you're located in the PNW as well, what area?

Bigprairie1

Commander

.....we are up on the Canadian side...on Southern Vancouver Island, B.C.
and with the kind of location hence the interest in looking U.S side for better boat deals, which there definitely are.
Up here....nice boats are still more money for some reason, some of these local guys selling are complete dreamers. I had located a nice (fresh water) Sea Ray out of Idaho a couple of months ago but unfortunately it went quickly.
The bayliner I bought was a great local deal and is working out very well so far. I've had it out 9 times so far this season (ie: last 1-1/2 months)...no problems yet, just some fun (fresh water) cruising.
We are headed into the BC interior (Okanagan) in a week for holidays and I hope to take it with me. My wife is good with that...so long as there no 'trailer' issues on the way....so that means a bearing re-pack this week I suppose.
All good & Ahoy.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW I just learned a couple of new things,COOL, Yours is a sharp looker too, I honestly have never seen a Bayliner with our hulls with an out board, I have waved to many just like minesame color,talked to them on the water to compare notes, but never an out board, well thanks for answering all my questions, Just never seen them like yours,>>>Pat

Here's a '91 Capri 1800 with a 90 O/B... mine. I'd like to consider upsizing to a 120 or so someday. With 550 lbs of crew(me + 2), a hundred lbs of load and a full tank, I can only get to 35MPH (GPS). I'd like to hit 40.

I was kinda shocked when i looked into my 'air vents' not long after buying it, and seeing that the hull was closed.

Bayliner.jpg

Bigprairie1

Commander

....yeah, the whole upsizing the motor thing is an interesting issue. If I have to replace the motor at some point I will probably go with something in the 115-150hp range.
I currently hit 38-40mph w/ my 90Capri/90hp Force set-up. The load conditions are a little different...usually 2 people, 1/2 tank, so your speed numbers are probably right in line with mine.
Are you pretty happy with your motor so far? (reliability wise, etc?). So far my Force is running very well....the endless controversy about them is a bit disconcerting.....then I read about the other makers problems in the other forums...and I feel better. Or at least normal
that said, I posted a few items on the Mercury/Mariner forum requesting feedback on a 97' Mariner 150hp EFI. I have an opportunity to pick one up (used) from a government distributor for probably something in the neighbourhood of $2000-2300k. I don't know if this is a smokin' deal or not.
I have no immediate requirement for it.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Bayliner is a late 80's 18 footer and it rated for up to 140 hp. It came with a force 125, but I am going to upgrade to a 135-140hp soon. I always wondered why some of the 18' capri's came stock with a 90hp and some with a 120-125hp. Does yours not have a plate with the maximum size engine on it like the one I have below?

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z174/Dvandy21/?action=view&current=boatcapacitynew.jpg

Bigprairie1

Commander

.......yeah I've got a plate like that except is says 90hp on it. Nothing about it being the maximum rating...just the hp that the boat came with. I am curious about a...'the' maximum rating. I'm sure I've seen the same boat advertised with a 120/125...and I'm sure their tag says, well 120/125hp. I'm not sure of, and I don't think that, Bayliner actually modified the same 18' capri on a motor to motor basis to handle an extra 30hp. I queried Bayliner and got a response not overly specific or scientific. However they did say this boat would probably accept a 120hp motor. I'd love to see the same boat with the 120hp option up close.
I'm going still continue my info hunt I suppose.

MikDee

Banned

I understand your angst BP1, my son recently got an 89' 19' Bayliner Capri with a 125 Force with my help, (he's a newbie with boats) I actually checked it out, picked it up, and delivered it to him in NC from Pa. Luckily it was all ok, and a good deal besides some weathering. I was surprised the capacity plate said Max 125 HP? I've been around boats all my life, and usually 18'-19' boats are rated for 150-200 hp, this boat was no lightweight either, but not overly heavy. My opinion was, if he were to replace the motor, down the road, a 150hp would be perfect, because with the 125hp it would seem to be a bit underpowered until I looked at the capacity plate? What gives with that, is it so cheaply made they're afraid to say more? I recently picked up an 89' 19' Bayliner Capri Ski boat, (a bit smaller then the regular Capri) with a 125hp Force, and I was surprised, but happy to find it's Max HP rating at 150! Over the years, we never had to worry about Coast Guard, and Insurance regulations, on horsepower? Most boats were hp rated pretty liberally, and of course there were those that went over that limit, usually without a problem, unless it was crazy over the limit. I myself had a 1972 Wellcraft Airslot bowrider with a 115hp evinrude on it, it was rated for up to 125hp,,, that boat was built like a tank, and the transom was like a rock, a little while later I put a 135 Johnson on it, with no ill effects. , I almost put a 150 Merc on it, I didn't have much doubt about it, just that it was out of my price range at the time. Good Luck in your quest, I would go for what you want, even if I had to bond a 1/2" aluminum plate (big as you can fit) inside against the transom for extra support.

I don't make sense to me either I had a 1995 Capri 16' BR it had a 70 Force OB thats what it came with from the factory and the max HP on the capacity plate. I now have a 1990 Capri 17' BR and it says 50 HP max.
Bob

Bigprairie1

Commander

Mariner 150hp-1.jpgCoyoteCruiser...interesting stuff...now does the plate say 50hp max....or just 50hp? I'm going to take another look at mine but I think mine just states the hp....I'm not sure if it calls it 'max' on the tag. I'll bet that if I had upgraded at the time it was ordered 'new' to a 120hp...that tag would simply say...well 120hp.
A guy in the same marina as me has a slightly older capri (86-87') and he currently is running a 175hp Mercury on it. I don't know what thats like...it may be a little big...but it probably flies. I don't need anything quite that big at all. I think more like 115hp to 150hp max.
I mentioned that I have an opportunity to pick up a 150hp EFI Mariner (97') used for about $2000+ but with no controls and its up to me to test its current 'palletized' condition. It was a 'take-off' from an upgraded boat/motor.
I have one more day to think about it.
Here are a couple of quick photos of it.

Attachments

• Mariner 150hp-2.jpg
    Mariner 150hp-2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking motor! 'Offshore model' gives it additional value. Many 'offshore' models have a 25" lower unit as opposed to your 20" transom!

Measure according to the attached pic.

Let us know what it is. If it is a 25" motor it is not worth trying to adapt it !!