bayliner 5.0 transom i/o leaking

tony_56

Cadet
I have a really bad leak in this bayliner i just recently purchased,its a 18' 1987 capri with a 5.0 in it. they said that they hit something on a sand bar, and from what i see i looks like it just pulled away from the port side a little like a 1/16 of an inch, can just tighten the bolts to the outdrive but i have a 5.0 in it and its troublesome to find these bolts?? where are they and how many? can i just tighten them, or should i just red neck it and pump alotta silicon in it? the reason i bought this i thought it was just the bellows, it was partly and i swaped them butnow i filled the hull and it just poured out between the transome and the outdrive? what should i do? could it be the transome seal? is replacing this easy for one guy to perform? :confused:

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: bayliner 5.0 transom i/o leaking

Just tighten the bolts? NO<br /><br />Fill with silicone? NO<br /><br />Get it fixed properly, or you will find yourself in deep water one day with no boat under you. You will likely also have an alignment problem now, so that has to be addressed.

tony_56

Cadet
Re: bayliner 5.0 transom i/o leaking

i had to drive it from the marina to the ramp and everything worked fine, it went in and out of gear very nicely it just was taking on water, i want this to work as cheaply as possible but want nothing to go wrong with it in the future, do you think it is hard to take off the drive myself and investigate where exactly it is leaking from? does drive oil come out?