Bayliner 1702

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys,

i've come across a 1995 Bayliner 1702 cuddy at what seems like a steal of a price at $2200. But I cant seem to find any info at all about this boat. It has a small cuddy, 2 lounge seats and 2 rear jump seats. its powered by a merc-force 120. looks a fun little deep-hulled boat but appearantly its only 17' total length and according to nada 1600lbs..would this most likely be a poor handling boat? i dont mind the small cuddy as it will just be me and my gf and possibly 2 other people on board(i dont need bow seats)...anyone have this boat or have seen one in the water? appreciate any info
i attached a pic of same boat

Jamie

Attachments

• ls_18_cuddy_1746755.jpg
    ls_18_cuddy_1746755.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Bayliner 1702

I agree with Bubba. Darn little room in a 17' cuddy. If I wanted a cuddy, I would look for 20' or larger.

That being said, if you will be boating on protected waters, this might be worth looking into. That's a pretty good price if the boat is in good condition, and you should be able to get all of it back if you do decide it's too small for you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Bayliner made a couple of pocket cruisers. I have seen the 16 foot cuddy on a local lake and got to talking with the owner while at anchor. He was satisfied with the way it performed with an 85, so I suppose the 17 footer with a 120 would be OK too. Not much room aft, but if you are not carrying too many people it should be OK. At anchor, someone could always go forward.
I THINK they also made these small hulls in the L-Drive version and, of course, that would be one to stay away from.

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for replies! i thought the same thing as well that if i bought it and dont like it i could just sell it and get my $ back and posib make an extra few bucks. My other concern is the force motor.. i understand merc took them over but is this still a motor to stay away from?

Maclin

Admiral

Chrysler became Force which became Mariner. There is a Force and Chrysler section, I would post there with the exact year and model of Force you have and ask some questions there about parts availability and service and what to look out for and upgrade, etc.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Chrysler became Force which became Mariner.

?? No it didn't. Mariners are 90% of the time just Mercurys with different badging. Force didn't become anything, it just got discontinued.

I wouldn't personally seek out a Force as they are no longer fully supported with parts. However, if one came on a super-deal of a boat, I'd run it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

?? No it didn't. Mariners are 90% of the time just Mercurys with different badging. Force didn't become anything, it just got discontinued.

Kind of... There were mercs that used force blocks and most force parts. They had zero force branding on them, 100% merc, but they were nearly identical to the force it came from. (bayliner L drives come to mind, as well as the sportjet90/95's. Force engines, mercury branding.)

Maclin

Admiral

Thanks EZ, the Force brand continued alongside Mercury's Mariner brand so I need to restate my summary:

Chrysler became Force which became Mercury's. ;)

Chrysler stern drives were sold to Bayliner Boats in 1983 and the outboard division was sold to the Force Outboards division of U.S. Marine ? an affiliate of Bayliner ? in 1984. Mercury ended up with the Force brand when Brunswick acquired Bayliner and U.S Marine. I believe the Force brand was marketed until the late 90's, 1999 maybe.

Bottom line to original poster is as EZ mentions, you will be likely supporting your engine via a dwindling supply of parts. There are some diehard fans out there though that like to keep these going.

I was just goofing and found this site, may be useful if you end up with that boat Maxum....:

http://www.outboardmotors.info/

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Kind of... There were mercs that used force blocks and most force parts. They had zero force branding on them, 100% merc, but they were nearly identical to the force it came from. (bayliner L drives come to mind, as well as the sportjet90/95's. Force engines, mercury branding.)

L-drive was called the Force L-Drive. Did the Force-based sport jets continue after the Force name was killed off ('99ish)?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

L-drive was called the Force L-Drive. Did the Force-based sport jets continue after the Force name was killed off ('99ish)?

I've seen some l drives that had mercury stickers on, never got to inspect one long enough to see if there was force on it. As far as I know the last of the little SJ's was around '98. (also, i don't think there were ever any force branded SJ's, even though they were identical to the Force l drives)

etracer68

Ensign

Here in SE Wisconsin, there are alot of Force outboards around yet. We went to party on a lake this summer, and there must have been 150 boats there, and most of the older Bayliners had Force's on them, and most 85HP's. I taked to some owners, and they seem to think they were good motors and didnt have alot of issues with them. But parts are getting harder to come by. I'm not to sure I would get a boat with one, but their sure alot of them around yet.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

for 2200 at that year.......its allready gone.......run !

btw....thats not a cuddy.....that is an enclosed pfd storage compartment