Battle>>>>Marine-tex VS. 2 part epoxy: objective...Sealing Holes

godspede619

Seaman
Been searching forums on iboats for the best way to fix those stobborn holes left by previous owners. (was trying to avoid asking newbie questions)

From what i read the best way was to use a product called marine-tex or a two part marine epoxy.From experience...what works better for those below water line? above water line?

Marine_tex>>>>>
1) Is it expensive?
2) Is is a putty or a liquid?
3) Easy to handle?
4)good or below and above water applications?

Same questions for two part marine epoxy....

Every one seems to agree for larger holes drill out hole to expose fresh fibers, use a dowel and seal either side with marine-tex or epoxy...Is it same prosess for smaller holes just minus the dowel? And are there any tricks to making it look like a clean finished job? Such as using masking tape and filling from opposite side.

Got some mixed reviews guys and as a new boater....I just want to do it right. thanks for the help. just tryin to avoid that dreaded task of tansom rebuilt and also tryin to make my dash look a little cleaner.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Battle>>>>Marine-tex VS. 2 part epoxy: objective...Sealing Holes

to be honest a patch is going to be a patch, without recoating the area. it's not going to match. what type holes are you filling. screws, bolts ?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

First off Marine Tex is a two part epoxy putty.

1-Nope

2- as mentioned , putty

3- Yup

4- Yup

There are two colors for Marine Tex, white and gray. The white is used for fiberglass, the gray for metal. Although it is 'white' it will not dry to a gelcoat finish. You can buff it until the cows come home but it will still be an off white color.

As far as getting a smooth finish, take a putty knife or something like that, as the product starts to set up smooth it over with that knife and some water. You could use a light misting or just dip the knife into a pail.

Here's the link to Marine Tex - lots of good answers on there for you :http://www.marinetex.com/

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I filled some holes in my boat where the previous owner drove screws through with a product called "Power Poxy Marine". It cost about $5 and I bought it at my local home center (Menards, Lowes, Home depot, etc.). It dries bright white. The holes I had were from #8 wood screws that were driven throught the hull. To repair, I took a larger drill bit and tapered the hole using just the tip of the bit. Then I just cleaned the area with acetone and mixed and applied the epoxy. I forced some up into the hole. The epoxy is pretty thick and I just smoothed it with a popsicle stick. Later I sanded the epoxy level with the surrounding area and used some polishing compound to shine it up. The epoxy color did not match the gel coat, but where mine was I didn't care. The epoxy is really white when cured. The repair came out very good and does not leak a drop.

On my other boat (aluminum Starcraft), I did a repair using "JB weld". That was about 5 or 6 years ago and it is still leak free. JB weld dries a brownish gray color.

Attachments

• Power poxy.jpg
    Power poxy.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • jb weld.jpg
    jb weld.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Just so you know, MarineTex is simply epoxy resin thickened with a filler. it is an excellent product, and may be used for a wide variety of purposes.

godspede619

Seaman

Marine -tex it is....Sounds like a great prouct I can use to seal those small screw holes. Thanks .....

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class

quick tip on filling holes flush.. put a layet of painters tape ( the blue stuff) around the hole a little ways back from the edge. use putty knife on edge accross the hole on the take ta make the filler flush with the tape, once happy with the lvl of the filler remove tape before filler dries, let drie, sand and buff. this gurantees enough filler in the whole to avoid having to refill/resand.