battery warning light

micky m

Recruit
hi folks recently updated my 2 batteries with 2 x 12v 170 amps 1000cca , small problem is the warning light for the battery stays on for about 15 minutes with the engine running , this warning light goes off when i increase the engine revs and stays off , boat engine is an iveco aifo 320 turbo diesel , alternator is self regulated 28v 30a , any help or advice would be really appreciated , thx

alldodge

Staff member
When the motor first starts what is the output voltage of the ALT?
After the motor is reved up, what does it change to?

I don't have a wiring diagram for the motor

micky m

Recruit
hi folks recently updated my 2 batteries with 2 x 12v 170 amps 1000cca , small problem is the warning light for the battery stays on for about 15 minutes with the engine running , this warning light goes off when i increase the engine revs and stays off , boat engine is an iveco aifo 320 turbo diesel , alternator is self regulated 28v 30a , any help or advice would be really appreciated , thx
When the motor first starts what is the output voltage of the ALT?
After the motor is reved up, what does it change to?

I don't have a wiring diagram for the motor
hi thanks for reply after start up it sits at roughly 26 volts with the warning light on , as soon as i increase the revs up to 28/30v the light goes off and stays off , then the batteries charge up no problem thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I don't see that you have a problem. The standard marine ALT does the same thing even on a 12V system. Most don't have lights but gauges. If the gauge is watched, it stays low until the first time the rpms are increased, then the ALT starts producing full output and stays that way

micky m

Recruit
hi thanks for reply after start up it sits at roughly 26 volts with the warning light on , as soon as i increase the revs up to 28/30v the light goes off and stays off , then the batteries charge up no problem thanks

I don't see that you have a problem. The standard marine ALT does the same thing even on a 12V system. Most don't have lights but gauges. If the gauge is watched, it stays low until the first time the rpms are increased, then the ALT starts producing full output and stays that way
hi thats good news , fully understand it now, as youve guessed im new to this electrical stuff, just didnt want to damage anything by putting too much power trough it , thanks for all youre help , appreciated