Battery switch question

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is my first boat with a battery switch, so I don't have much experience with them. I understand how they work, but I do find it annoying that I need to open my engine compartment to switch from 1 to 2, etc.

Does the switch have to be in the engine compartment? Would be great to have this at the driver's console, but is there a problem with having such a long wire run for something like this?

UPDATE: I think I answered my own question that yes, having a long run would have issues with voltage drop, require long runs extra heavy, expensive gauge wire. Would there be any other ideas to make the switching more accessible?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
My battery switch gets moved twice a year.
ON in spring, OFF in fall

Use a ACR to keep both bats charged and switch only used if bats need to be combined to start

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My battery switch gets moved twice a year.
ON in spring, OFF in fall

Use a ACR to keep both bats charged and switch only used if bats need to be combined to start
Thanks. I did a quick search on ACRs. Do you keep your switch on "ALL", so you don't have to worry about switching to play the stereo when anchored?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks. I did a quick search on ACRs. Do you keep your switch on "ALL", so you don't have to worry about switching to play the stereo when anchored?
No, keep in on the start bat only (position 1)
When motor starts ALT will charge both bats thru the ACR. If the start bat or the house bat shorts out, the ACR disconnects to protect the other bat. Only time it needs to go to 2 or both is if its needed to start

If you have a built in bat charger, keep them connected to both bats. If only one charger keep it connected to start bat, and ACR with switch over to charger other when plugged in

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Get one of these Add a battery kits from Blue Sea. Has the ACR and a switch that let's you start off of battery 1, battery 2, or combines both batteries. Easy peasy.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Get one of these Add a battery kits from Blue Sea. Has the ACR and a switch that let's you start off of battery 1, battery 2, or combines both batteries. Easy peasy.

The switch on the Blues Seas is Off - On - Both.
No option to start off battery 2

sam am I

Commander
So you mentioned "annoying that I need to open my engine compartment to switch" which you'll still be required to do with the above mentioned/suggested blue sea options. i.e., IF you want the battery/s "OFF"...........Which is most safe to do if you leave your boat moored or not used/unattended for a reasonable amount of time or even trailering, you should turn them off IMO.

Blue sea offers a remotely operated (with local manual override) option so you can have the best of both worlds........

A ACR (I don't/won't use on my boats) with small gauge wired remote controlled battery switches(with local manual override)to engage (or turn off) each battery on either side of the ACR all with leaving the engine compartment opening/closed alone as you mentioned you wanted.

Looks like a pretty nice setup IMO if I were to run a ACR and not want to be opening engine/battery compartments etc

Last edited:

Krazeehorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you have a place you could mount the switch just outside the engine compartment? Eliminate the voltage drop issue but still wouldn't have to open the compartment hatch.

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the responses. I may do something simple, like you suggested, Krazehorse. The current location in the engine compartment is not easy to reach, so even relocating closer to the front of the hatch would help.

Lilacvita

Recruit
Thanks for the responses. I may do something simple, like you suggested, Krazehorse. The current location in the engine compartment is not easy to reach, so even relocating closer to the front of the hatch would help.
You are correct in the voltage drop being an issue. Make sure you never turn the switch the the off position while the engine is running. It will fry your alternator. Only go 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 And that could be an issue if your switch is old.

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
The benefit to having it in the engine compartment is you can do a visual inspection of fluids, etc. when you open it up.