Battery Switch, Low Voltage, Crownline w/ Mercury

Mnemosyne52

Recruit
I am hoping you guys can lend a hand here. I have a 2022 Crownline E235XS with a Mercury 250 Verado V8. Love the boat, love the engine, very happy overall. So some setup:

Boat was on the lot for about 14 months before I bought it. I got a great discount, so I am happy. When I got it home, I realized the cranking battery was sitting in water in the containment box. The battery was basically underwater. No one from the dealer checked this. I emptied the water, checked the voltages, checked the connections, etc. All seemed in order.

Now, the problem.

I ran it for the first month of ownership with the selector switch in the ON position. the E235XS has a cranking battery and an auxiliary battery, and there is a COMBINE setting. I checked the manual, and the manual said to run it in ON as there is a voltage sensitivity and automatic charging relay that will charge the auxiliary battery when needed. I started to get a low voltage indicator on the Garmin. I thought this was attributable to the low RPM I was running at the time. Then, a week ago, I started to get a "Gateway CAN-P MULTI Low System Voltage warning. I checked the batteries, and the cranking battery (the formerly underwater battery) was at 11.1V. Additionally, the plug-in charger was never getting to a Green Ready status, but stayed on charging, so I realized the battery was dead and needed replacement. I changed out the battery, and it is now fixed.

Here's the question: when I was talking with the mechanic when I picked up my battery, he stated: "Have you been running the battery switch on the combine setting? If so, you won't get a low voltage alarm. The Crownline with Mercury Verado engine MUST be run with the switch in the combine mode". This brings up the question - Is the manual right (keep it in the ON position, and let the VSR / ACR do its job, or do as the mechanic suggested and run it in the combine mode? I am quite sure the 250 Verado can handle the combine mode and charge both batteries at once, but I am wondering if I am doing any damage in this mode. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
The Verado uses a lot of current and manual states to use only AGM batteries 1000 CCA Min (I have two V8 Verado's). The house Bat can be something another type so long as your shore power charger is compatible.

The selector switch should not be placed combine (both) mode. If one Bat goes bad it will take down the other. This is why the ACR is there to keep the house charged and also protect both Bats