Battery Straps?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Anybody found a better way to strap down batteries than using those nylon straps that never seem to last a season?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Anybody found a better way to strap down batteries than using those nylon straps that never seem to last a season?
Are you talking about strapping down the actual battery or the battery box? If the actual battery, you have to make sure whatever method you decide to use, that it doesn't short out the battery if it moves during trailering or boating. They do make metal hold down battery clamps, and a lot of them are rubber coated metal. Maybe you could look for one of them. Just an idea...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I modified a battery tray to hold a battery box, so I have the best of both: the starting battery and its terminals are completely covered and I can secure it all without using those cursed straps. (For the time being, unfortunately, my house battery box is just strapped down. That should be corrected this Spring...)

robert graham

Admiral
My battery box is black plastic, held down by a 2 inch wide nylon strap with a plastic buckle.....been on there since 1999 when I bought the boat new....never any problems at all...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My battery box is black plastic, held down by a 2 inch wide nylon strap with a plastic buckle.....been on there since 1999 when I bought the boat new....never any problems at all...
Yeah, I have never replaced a battery strap. Every boat I ever had the strap lasted the life of the boat. My last boat was 35 years old with the original strap.

Must be sumting wong!

Is the battery box out in the open subject to sunlight all the time? Certainly, an un-boxed battery would not be out in the open.

It could be that he's crashing through the big waves a lot more than you and me. I've never even thought about the straps holding down my three batteries, and have flown from wavetop-to-wavetop quite a few times.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For those not familiar with a salt water environment, anything that retains moisture, ie straps, cushions, dock lines, etc. mold (black mold) and or dry rot in short order. Seems to really like wire insulation and rubber hose for some reason

It gets so bad I have to hose down the battery and oil storage tank compartments under the back seats twice a year to keep things from getting out of control.

A cup of seawater is a living science experiment.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
My batteries are in plastic battery boxes and the boat is exposed to the weather 365. Maybe that is why the nylon straps rots quicker. I am going with the rubber tarp straps because they are stronger and last longer. So far they seem to be less affected by weather. Always open to better ideas though.

MRS

Commander
You have your battery box open to the elements? You need to cover them if you don't, I have never had a battery strap rot out.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at the condition of everything on the boat and all that has failed so far is the anchor winch battery. The starting battery and trolling motor battery have held up so I feel good about that and for the fact that the trolling motor and anchor winch still work.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
IMHO all boats should be covered when not in use. 365 exposure deteriorates a lot of parts, not just battery straps.

Regardless, if you're happy with what you have, a whole roll of strapping can be had on ebay for pennies a foot. There would be enough there to replace the straps yearly for the next 10 years.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I know what you mean by those UV rays damaging things. I had to replace a plastic fuel tank after it sat outside on the boat for ten years. Right now I am working on an idea of how to hook a waterproof tarp to the rail behind the bench seats and maybe weight the bottom of it so that it will keep rain water out of the stowage under the seats. I quit using seat covers after they stained the seats. But the sun has bleached them back to original color now.