Battery operated small room A/C units , WORK ?

No more boats

Seaman
Down sized from a cruiser with a/c too a GW 22 ft walk around , cuddy cabin boat.
Once I remove middle cushions , I can stand in cabin , without head hitting ceiling
Two can sleep and stretch out with comforts for extended fishing trips ,
Aware a powerful fan on power inverter will keep cabin air circulating and will be comfortable , BUT CURIOUS ,
Adds for small battery operated or elec using inverter A/C units .
Mfg says it can cool a small room ?
Any of you tried ? Does it work ? curious if those little box a/c work or a waist of money ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Down sized from a cruiser with a/c too a GW 22 ft walk around , cuddy cabin boat.
Once I remove middle cushions , I can stand in cabin , without head hitting ceiling
Two can sleep and stretch out with comforts for extended fishing trips ,
Aware a powerful fan on power inverter will keep cabin air circulating and will be comfortable , BUT CURIOUS ,
Any of you tried ? Does it work ? curious if those little box a/c work or a waist of money ?
Can't comment on the A/C part but have experience with attempting to sleep in a GW Walkaround. Tried it once and never again.

Very cramped and no ventilation even with the windows open unless you leave the door cracked then the bugs eat you alive. Ended up sleeping in the truck to get away from the bugs.

Now stay at a local dive hotel with docking if doing an all nighter or multi day trip.

Can't imagine trying to sleep two in that cabin, even as newly weds...

No more boats

Seaman
Newly weds- Hey I used too own a Fiat X - now that was tight ,
Got tired of the twin engine cruisers , ( sold ) Purchased the GW for off shore plus few day adventures with son & grandboys . Been too a few places in Keys , booked on line , no pics , Get too room driving all day , Tired , , No way was I sleeping in that room just too save few bucks , Figured in a pinch we can crash in cuddy , I know its tight ,

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Bo
Newly weds- Hey I used too own a Fiat X - now that was tight ,
Got tired of the twin engine cruisers , ( sold ) Purchased the GW for off shore plus few day adventures with son & grandboys . Been too a few places in Keys , booked on line , no pics , Get too room driving all day , Tired , , No way was I sleeping in that room just too save few bucks , Figured in a pinch we can crash in cuddy , I know its tight ,
I hear you.
Fished competitively for a number of years. Drive half the night, get a couple hours of sleep then lines in the water at 6 am.

Ran a Suburban back in the day. Fold down the back seats and you had a nice queen size sleeping area.

Have a F150 crew now with the fold up bench seating in the back. There is more usable room in the back of the truck than the cuddy. Air conditioned too ;)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
maybe a room the size of a 30 qt cooler. however wont stand a chance in Florida heat or even Wisconsin heat for that mater

the AC coolers that they have is just a cooler with two fans blowing air across the ice. took 20 minutes to melt the ice

the other ones are just mist systems. you fill the tank with water, it sprays a mist. the plus, evaporative cooling works. the negative, it generates a lot of mold.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Looked at them for a small motorhome...have been told that there are no worthwhile battery powered A/C units on the market. If you wish to set up an extravogent battery/ inverter system, they do work well but big $$$ and they take up space. Many folks claim a fan in front of a cooler of ice cubes does work !!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
All that does is add Humidity to already highly Humid Air. Running Ice Water thru a Radiator, that has a Fan blowing Air thru it would be better, and doesn't add Humidity. I can handle 35-36 degree air, if it is very dry, but 20 degrees and Humid, is far more Uncomfortable, as my sweat can't evaporate and I overheat, and Pass Out

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
the other ones are just mist systems. you fill the tank with water, it sprays a mist. the plus, evaporative cooling works. the negative, it generates a lot of mold.

Swamp coolers raise the humidity 2% to 3% for every 1F degree drop in temperature. Not to mention the efficiency falls off a cliff with humidity above 50%.

Works well in Palm Springs at 110F, 7% humidity but is useless in the temps and humidity of the East Coast, let alone Florida

Current 7am weather in Baltimore..... 73F with a 73F dew point (100% humidity) with a forecasted high of 92F. Air conditioning or pool are my only options...lol