Battery keeps dying

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This morning I hookep up the battery to my Seahorse 1979 v4, it started ok, I worked on the engine, after 4-5 hours I attempted to start it again, the battery was dead, the only thing attached was the engine, I haven't been able to jump it either, however I did notice that the battery cables and the starter we very hot, the started even more so. Could the started be going?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery keeps dying

A hot cable indicates an excessive voltage draw, a bad internally failing cable, or a electrical short.

When you installed that battery, did the cables arc when you connected them to the battery? If so, it's possible that the starter solenoid is stuck and engaging the starter.

Also possible that the starter has shorted out internally.

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A hot cable indicates an excessive voltage draw, a bad internally failing cable, or a electrical short.

When you installed that battery, did the cables arc when you connected them to the battery? If so, it's possible that the starter solenoid is stuck and engaging the starter.

Also possible that the starter has shorted out internally.

Definetely the starter after I disconnected it, I tested it and I had continuity between the positive lug and ground.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Definetely the starter after I disconnected it, I tested it and I had continuity between the positive lug and ground.

That's normal. An internal short would be where the pos is shorted to ground in an abnormal way, which continuity won't tell ya.

You sure the battery is dead? Did you measure the voltage with a digital meter or hydrometer?

When you tried to start it, did the starter spin at all? Did the bendix engage the flywheel? Did you hear the solenoid "click"?

A dragging starter will draw more current & heat up.

Starting with a known good fully charged battery, measure the voltage from the starter cable end to engine block ground with starter disconnected and solenoid engaged - if you get within half a volt or so of battery open circuit voltage, then the starter is faulty.