Battery decision, hopefully

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, I just finished spending a lot of time doing research on what size batteries I should buy for my Terrova 80# 24V trolling motor. It has come down to 2 Everstart Maxx 29 connected in series, I think:):confused:

My question is, do all you think that would be adequate, or should I go up to a group 31? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help. John

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery decision, hopefully

I don't know what a 29 is. I do know that a 31 is a heavy duty battery (OTR Truck battery to be exact) that has 3/8" studs and is the same physical size as the popular 27 with lead terminals. At the local truck stop I can get, have gotten several, 31's with 950 cca for less than $70.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I hope you are looking at deep cycles and not starting batteries. Check the label on both batteries for the Reserve Minutes @ 23 amps rating. If there is very little difference between the two then I would choose the group size 29. If there is a significant difference and the price difference is not outrageous then the group 31 would be my choice. However, how you use the troller and how long you are out determines what capacity you need. It doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on batteries if you generally fish for just a couple hours at a time.

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply's. The everstart marine 27 DC 6 is a deep cycle battery for trolling motors. I am going to have to go back and get all the information on the battery as you stated Silvertip. All I saw on it was it had 115 amp hrs. Hope that helps. John

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Thanks for the reply's. The everstart marine 27 DC 6 is a deep cycle battery for trolling motors. I am going to have to go back and get all the information on the battery as you stated Silvertip. All I saw on it was it had 115 amp hrs. Hope that helps. John

That should be plenty unless you plan on trolling around on the electric all day long.

Always remember to charge the batteries before and after each trip. Batteries have the longest life when they are stored fully charged. Also try not to run them until they are completely dead as that will also shorten their lifespan.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on batteries if you generally fish for just a couple hours at a time.

Never heard anyone complain their batteries lasted too long, I'd get the highest reserve capacity that fit in the available space ... ;)

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most of my fishing is about 4-6 hours a day with the trolling motor. The Everstart Marine 27 DC 6 trolling battery at Wally world is $75.00 per battery which I didn't think that was bad compared to some of the other higher end one's. My trolling motor came in today so I'm biting at the bit to install it. Thanks for all the reply's. John

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I hope you are looking at deep cycles and not starting batteries. Check the label on both batteries for the Reserve Minutes @ 23 amps rating. If there is very little difference between the two then I would choose the group size 29. If there is a significant difference and the price difference is not outrageous then the group 31 would be my choice. However, how you use the troller and how long you are out determines what capacity you need. It doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on batteries if you generally fish for just a couple hours at a time.

Hey man, what is a 29?

Mark

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

It is a group 29 size.

The Marine Max is a Marine combo deep cycle/starting battery sold at Walmart

I've been buying and using these batteries for a number of years now.

They have returned good service life. Good cranking voltages, good trolling capacity (for me). I respect the fact that any battery has limits, but they deep cycle well, at or near to apparent stated capacity.

Some have been warrantied without issue.

Of course I'm only using one at a time, but have them in service as deep cycle for a trolling motor and starting/accessories on other boats too.

Again, pleased with performance and reliability.

As far as capacity goes, I believe the 29 size was the largest available, and by the weight, they didn't appear to scrimp on lead.

I don't fall in love with one brand over another. It's all about service of the battery and the warranty service that decides what's onboard.

There may have been once or twice where I was able to get the free replacement as that period ended only to roll over into another full warranty on the replacement. ( I wasn't about to explain it to the returns clerk)