battery charger rate question

itstim

Seaman
Is it ok to leave a deep cycle battery on a 1.5 amp charge between weekends at the marina?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: battery charger rate question

Moving to Boat Electrics.

JRJ

Commander

Yes, but use a charger that is smart enough to know when the battery has had enough.

18rabbit

Captain

What you are describing is a “float charge” scenario…a small charge left on a battery for long periods of time for the purpose of maintaining it. When done properly it does not harm the battery (you can leave it on a battery indefinitely) and it will prolong the battery’s useful life.<br /><br />Float charge amps should be no more than 2% of the battery’s 20-hr rating...MAXIMUM!<br /><br />Float charge voltage should be 0.9 volts less than the ‘acceptance’ charging voltage (14.4v) for flooded batteries, 0.6 volts less than the acceptance charging voltage (14.1v) for gel batteries.<br /><br />Example: an 85 A/Hrs flooded battery has a float charge limit of 1.7amps at 13.5 volts.<br />Example: a 90 A/Hrs gel battery has a float charge limit of 1.8amps at 13.5 volts.<br /><br />Your 1.5 amp charge is appropriate to float a battery of 75A/Hrs at the smallest and 150A/Hrs at the largest. But be sure the output voltage is not the acceptance charge of 14.4 volts (or 14.1v for gel). If it is DO NOT leave it on the battery unattended.

bubbakat

Captain

good advice rabbit and glad to see you posting again.<br />I use an onboard charger and mine stay on all the time my boat is parked.