Battery cable size?

zing99

Cadet
I've got a 115hp outboard on a 20foot center console. Guessing the cables are 15-18' long. What AWG should I be using for Pos and Neg?

I've noticed the current cables are open ended lugs, meaning nothing covers the end of the cable just a ring with some worn away heat shrink tubing.

It's a 1996 boat and the cables are growing a bit of green so I don't know if the original cables were even tinned. Used in a saltwater environment so I'd like to do this correctly.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Battery cable size?

Batts in the console? 2GA...

Get your cable from Greg's Marine Wire, probably get the lugs from them as well, but I buy my lugs from genuinedealz. And my favorite hydraulic HD crimper from HF...
HydraulicWireCrimpingTool.jpg

Or they'll just make them for you for a couple bucks extra...

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's some serious lenght. If it's the starter battery can you get it closer to the motor and use shorter cables?

For a 115hp

1-10ft = 4 Ga. 11-15 ft = 2 Ga. 16-20 ft = 1 Ga. A lot of bucks for wire.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't crimp them only. Sand the inside of the lug until it shines. Add the shrink wrap BEFORE you crimp the lugs. Pull it a good foot away from the lug. Point the lug straight down and heat with a small torch being careful not to burn the wire insulation the best you can. Keep the torch on the bottom of the lug. Add solder to the top of the lug where it meets the wire and fill it up with melted solder. Make sure to heat it quick and cool it down quick with water so as not to let the wire conduct a lot of heat and hurt the insulation before you pull the shrink wrap down. Make sure the shrink wrap completely covers the top of the lug. Overlap it as much as possible. Install it and then and only then spray it with corrosion block on both ends. No more problems. I think 4ga for a 115 would be plenty. And no you probably can't move the battery its in the console.

fucawi

Banned

When you solder the insulation shrinks back ..no problem while its hot (water ?? no) get a cloth wrapped around it and push it back towards the terminal...hold in place till cool ....I can only think of a rude example of something similar ...when its cool slide up the heat shrink ....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Don't crimp them only. Sand the inside of the lug until it shines. Keep the torch on the bottom of the lug. Add solder to the top of the lug where it meets the wire and fill it up with melted solder.
Crimping is the way to go and there is no need for sanding a lug if the lug is tinned as it should always be. Not only is soldering unnecessary, the solder wicks up the cable and you lose cable flexibility.

As a previous poster suggested, use Genuinedealz and they will make a crimped cable for you.

zing99

Cadet

I've got 2awg now. Pulled the cable this morning, it's actually 18' and appears to be just copper not tinned. Guess I should move up to 1awg.

Question on the rest of the cables: The 4' cable connecting the battery to the switch is just 4awg, should that match the awg of the long run to the engine? Same on the ground cable connecting the 2 batteries, does it need to match the long run?

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes keep the cables all the same gage. The wire you have in there now is probably automotive SAE 2ga if it is in fact not tinned. Tinned marine cable is 2awg which actually contains more strands of wire and has a larger daimeter than SAE type. If the SAE 2 ga has always worked fine then the marine 2awg will work even better. Of course there is no harm in going to a thicker gauge except that it will put a bigger dent in your pocket.

According to gun dog, OMC recommends 1ga which in my interpretation is SAE wire. Again just my interpretation because omc does not exactly specify in their manuals. So 2awg marine will be a little closer to 1ga SAE but still not quite as thick.

Also, side note, ABYC does not recommend using any soldered connections in boats because the extreme movement and vibration can ultimately lead to failure at the soldered joint.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

According to gun dog, OMC recommends 1ga which in my interpretation is SAE wire. Again just my interpretation because omc does not exactly specify in their manuals. So 2awg marine will be a little closer to 1ga SAE but still not quite as thick.

Not according to me. OMC Specified.

Attachments

• motor_0001.jpg
    motor_0001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 7
  • motor_0002.jpg
    motor_0002.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ha ya checked my shop manual for my 70hp johnson and it says the same thing.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk