Batteries under bench seat. Good idea/bad idea?

bdm26

Cadet
Hi-

I've been reading and searching threads in this forum trying to get an answer/idea of what to do and I think I've created more questions then answered. :)

I have a Lund S-14 and will be putting two batteries in it, one for starting my 35 hp Mercury and my deep cycle for the trolling motor/lights/bilge pump.

When I was just using one battery, I just had it in a battery box as you can see in picture 1 (the one w/ the piece of wood in it. :) ). That was fine but now I want to do something a bit cleaner with the two, as well as spread the weight out. My thought was to put one battery on each side in the back since the rear seat wraps around in that U shape.

My original plan was to measure out the size of the batteries and cut out the foam and slide them in so they had a nice snug fit to help keep them from bouncing around. Then on the red line you see in picture 3, cutting the board into two pieces and installing a hinge so I can open and close it to take the battery in and out, or to charge it.

After reading some posts, I have a few questions now...

-Do they *have* to be in a battery box? I get the impression they should be.
-Is it ok to cut the foam out to do this?
-Ventilation of the gas I would expect to not be a problem since this isn't exactly going to be sealed when the seat is down, and if it is charging the battery would either be out of the boat in the open or if its in the boat the top would be open. Agree/disagree?
-Any points I am missing?

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG