batteries...question

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: batteries...question

Some one should have a diagram to wire up in a 12v circuit. Also there is a device that allows you to run duel batteries and use only one at a time. All you do is turn a nob to switch them over. It nice thing to have instead of having 2 dead batteries you will have only 1 and a back up.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

You can run two conected but it's BEST to have two of the same style, age, condition, ect :rolleyes:

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

What are your plans? I have plans to run duel batteries and capacitors. I will have a main battery and a back up, the capacitors are to run electronics like fish finders and a sound system, so that way there is less strain on a battery.

Splat

Lieutenant

What are your plans? I have plans to run duel batteries and capacitors. I will have a main battery and a back up, the capacitors are to run electronics like fish finders and a sound system, so that way there is less strain on a battery.

HUH?!?!?!?!

A Cap would only be useful as a buffer against a high sudden drain. Totally unneeded on a boat unless your running something like a BIG BIG amplifier on a radio that depands high current suddenly.

A Fishfinder draws very small amounts of power.

Bill

tks for all the input...my plan was just to have them linked so that I can have back up power as well I am planning on adding more lights (mood lighting...lol) and stereo with sub.....also, when i am putting my outdrive into travelling position it seems to really draw a lot (volt meter drops)....sorry brand new so bit of naieve

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

HUH?!?!?!?!

A Cap would only be useful as a buffer against a high sudden drain. Totally unneeded on a boat unless your running something like a BIG BIG amplifier on a radio that depands high current suddenly.

A Fishfinder draws very small amounts of power.

Bill

That's what I though but after first hand experience they allow long periods of power draw and no actual power drain from the batt. Had a cap power 3 12" subs for about 8 hours before it went dead. I also had a fish finder drain a batt dead in a days fishing, it was a brand new batt charged to full. Luckily I had a back up on the boat.

From what I thought a cap did which was for sudden power drains from a amp, acted like a second batt.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

tks for all the input...my plan was just to have them linked so that I can have back up power as well I am planning on adding more lights (mood lighting...lol) and stereo with sub.....also, when i am putting my outdrive into travelling position it seems to really draw a lot (volt meter drops)....sorry brand new so bit of naieve

Run a switch like I linked, then run a cap for the sound. Do not run the 2 batts at once run off of one so that way you are not up a creek with no paddle. Like I have said before that I had to rely on my spare to run. I drained the main batt with a fish finder in 1 day.

Splat

Lieutenant

That's what I though but after first hand experience they allow long periods of power draw and no actual power drain from the batt. Had a cap power 3 12" subs for about 8 hours before it went dead. I also had a fish finder drain a batt dead in a days fishing, it was a brand new batt charged to full. Luckily I had a back up on the boat.

From what I thought a cap did which was for sudden power drains from a amp, acted like a second batt.

There are easier and SAFER ways to create a reserve capacity that are way more practical then using a capacitor. And although true they can be used as mini batteries, their storage capacity, and potential to "dump" all their reserve quickly, negates such use practically. A second battery, with a switch would be a safer alternative.

Also capacitors are used for a variety of things including noise filtering, power conditioning, they are used heavily in electric motors, and even in some very special uses like capacitive coupling.

Bill

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Huh!!!!!...first off, what do you think charges up the capacitor in the first place? Second, do you realize how big a capacitor you would need that would hold enough charge to power something drawing as little as a fishfinder for an hour?