Batteries connection for 12/24 volt TM

BelewsBoater

Cadet
There are 4 awg #6 wires- red, red/blue stripe, black, black/blue stripe cables in the stern box. All these 4 are connected to 12/24 volt trolling motor at the bow. A previous owner had the red and black hooked to a starting battery and red/blue stripe and black/striped hooked to deep cycle. So I removed the starting battery and replaced it with other deep cycle. Do I need to have a 40 amp breaker for 1 or both red cable to the batteries? Red and black to battery 1...red/blue stripe and black/blue stripe to battery 2...is that how it should be done? No jump cable or anything like that? A diagram would be helpful.

Appreciated in advance.

Chris

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Batteries connection for 12/24 volt TM

You can put big breakers on everything except the wire that starts the motor if you like, but I think you should have more batteries.

2 for the trolling and 1 for the engine.

Oh and then you could add another for accessories. So make that 4.

BelewsBoater

Cadet

On my starting battery just one for outboard and accessories combined. Should that be OK or should it be separated? There is no space for a fourth battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are using the starting battery as one of the two batteries for the 24 volt troller you are asking for trouble in that sooner or later you will be left with a dead starting battery. You really need to get the engine and accessories on a separate battery. Then two deep cycles for the troller. As for connections, it is very simple. The two wires with the stripes go to one battery (red = POS, black = neg). The two wires without stripes go to the other battery. There are no jumper wires in this system since the 24 volt series connection is handled either at the plug or the motor control box. Yes, you need a circuit breaker on the POS terminal of the two troller batteries. Unless you have a bunch of accessories you do not need a fourth battery.

BelewsBoater

Cadet

If you are using the starting battery as one of the two batteries for the 24 volt troller you are asking for trouble in that sooner or later you will be left with a dead starting battery.
Geez I don't know why the previous owner did this.

You really need to get the engine and accessories on a separate battery. Then two deep cycles for the troller.
So all I need is 2 deep cycle for 24 volt TM and 1 starting for the engine and 1 starting for all the accessories? Guess I have to add the one up front for all the accessories.

As for connections, it is very simple. The two wires with the stripes go to one battery (red = POS, black = neg). The two wires without stripes go to the other battery. There are no jumper wires in this system since the 24 volt series connection is handled either at the plug or the motor control box. Yes, you need a circuit breaker on the POS terminal of the two troller batteries. Unless you have a bunch of accessories you do not need a fourth battery.
Exactly what I need to know. Thanks. Currently there's just 1 breaker on 1 red not on other red, guess need to buy other 1.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No! You need a total of three. Two deep cycles for the trolling motor. One large dual purpose (starting/deep cycle) for the engine and accessories. Unless you are running and "oh my God" size amplifier you don't need accessories on a separate battery. Besides, you haven't told us what your accessories are!