Batman! Dadadadadadadada!

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Just stumbled across this picture. What kind of boat is this? Totally custom, or just customized? Anybody know?

Attachments

• 421500445_7157983477602779_1103939572156124220_n.jpg
    421500445_7157983477602779_1103939572156124220_n.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 20

flashback

Captain
Have no idea, it's probably a Hollywood special but CC made one with a big fin on the back named aptly enough: Cobra..

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If I had to guess I would say it was a George Barris custom made from a factory hull. He was the creator of the original Batmobile, plus all the other iconic Hollywood creations.

If you google it, you will find a plastic model of that very boat.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
This is a Mannerfelt B24, made in Sweden in the early 2000’s. This one was the first one imported to the US. 80+MPH with a single V8.
Notice the Bat signal on the transom. Everyone calls it the Batboat.
IMG_0519.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 13

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I had a go fast boat for a bit and had a batman symbol added to the new upholstery

southkogs

Staff member
GW Invader had a little two seater (forget the model) that you could get dressed up like a bat boat for a while back when the Michael Keaton film came out.

southkogs

Staff member
Dunno' about the name: but I think the zany thing is pretty cool lookin':
worlds-coolest-boats-MBY288.col_coolboats.chris_craft_alamy_F3ANT0.jpg

But, then again I like the '58 Fury:
1958-plymouth-fury-rear-passenger-side-quarter-shot-christine-scaled.jpg

YellowT

Cadet
Americans went nuts over aviation and airplanes after the First World War. The fascination morphed from aviation to spaceflight in the 1950s. All those fins on cars, boats, dishwashers and refrigerators, toys, bicycles, etc., represented tails and ailerons on planes, and later landing or flight stabilizer gear on rockets. It wasn't about function; it was about consumer identification with "progress" and it sold very well for several decades. Some of the stuff is still gorgeous.

(Wrote a research paper on this once.)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Built in the early 1950's it was a decadent model made to turn heads. It sported a Cadillac engine. In an era when wood was king, it was an early use of fiberglass for the fin and deck section. Not many made and not a whole lot of them still in existence.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer

But, then again I like the '58 Fury:
1958-plymouth-fury-rear-passenger-side-quarter-shot-christine-scaled.jpg
My family had a Plymouth like that when I was a little boy. With a push button transmission, it was a really neat car. Also for a short while I owned a red 1960 Impala convertible which had fins, but they were of the horizontal variety. I agree many of these finned products were things of beauty. Set them apart from the competition. Now all cars pretty much look alike. I once could ID a car a half mile away. Now not only are they non-distinct, curiously, many times don't have a nameplate on them at all.

airshot

Rear Admiral
My family had a Plymouth like that when I was a little boy. With a push button transmission, it was a really neat car. Also for a short while I owned a red 1960 Impala convertible which had fins, but they were of the horizontal variety. I agree many of these finned products were things of beauty. Set them apart from the competition. Now all cars pretty much look alike. I once could ID a car a half mile away. Now not only are they non-distinct, curiously, many times don't have a nameplate on them at all.
Especially today's SUV's.....From any distance you can't tell one from the other. In fact they are so similar, it makes we wonder if the same designers created them all and added minor detail changes to make them seem different. And all have the same price tag as well.....hmm.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Especially today's SUV's.....From any distance you can't tell one from the other. In fact they are so similar, it makes we wonder if the same designers created them all and added minor detail changes to make them seem different. And all have the same price tag as well.....hmm.....
Jap cars were crap. Nobody wanted them. Then, the American cars went downhill, while at the same time Jap cars got better. So, american fools bought the jap cars.

Now, American designers made the American cars look like Jap cars so we would buy them. Then the jap designers made them look like American cars so we would like them.

Vicious circle.

As far as price, its called competition. If they are both similar, you might buy the cheaper one. Same price, now they can lure you to them.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ill stick with my german diesels

06 e320 mercedes, cdi 4matic
14 vw sportwagen, tdi, six speed stick

then betsy is my 96 ford POS keeps chugging along as needed,even with all its end of life electronic epa systems issues

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Only one VW and One Mercedes dealer within driving distance of my house. Most private garages won't work on them. My buddy who owns one says German parts are hard to come by these days.

"Fix or repair daily". My son's Dodges are rust buckets. It's Mother, apple pie and Chevrolet all the way.