BassTender 11.3 Plastic (Polyethylene) Jon Boat Transom Repair Question (Bass Tender, Bass Hound, Bass Raider, Pond Prowler, etc.)

BULL3TPR00F

Cadet
Hey guys and gals,

So I'm in the process of restoring/rebuilding a BassTender 11.3 Plastic (Polyethylene) Jon Boat.

I believe its the same material as all the other plastic jon boats out there (Bass Hound, Bass Raider, Pond Prowler, etc), which is polyethylene plastic (HDPE I believe).

I am replacing some of the fittings and pumps that go through the hull at the transom of the boat.

My main question is does anyone have any experience on what is the best sealant to use to seal up all the through-hull fittings? Everything I have been reading online says that its almost impossible for anything to properly adhere/stick to polyethylene plastic. I was going to use 3M 5200, but I also read that it doesn't stick very well to polyethylene as well. Most extreme plastic bonders I see online that claim to work on polyethylene are super glue type stuff designed to join plastic parts together but not really provide a seal.

If anyone has experience dealing with this material and has successfully done reseals and repairs on the material, any help and insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BULL3TPR00F

Cadet
They obviously had to seal these fittings with something that clearly works well at the factory when they are manufactured.

I might have to try and give Sun Dolphin or one of the other companies a call to see if they will tell me what they use from factory.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get thru-hull fittings with rubber gaskets

BULL3TPR00F

Cadet
Get thru-hull fittings with rubber gaskets
I thought about that as well if rubber gaskets would be sufficient enough but I feel like some sort of sealant would still be required since the texture of the hull of the boat isn't completely flat its got a sort of pitted/wavy finish the way its designed (not very coarse but still a texture)

upon further inspection of the current fittings that are still on the boat, its hard to tell if there is any sealant on the fittings from the outside of the hull, but it looks like there isnt (at least none squeezing through the lock nut).

But there is definitely some sort of sealant on the inside of fittings (its black and very soft and mushy feeling). As well as on the threads of the aerator.

From some more research i've been doing, some things ive read have said to use any marine grade 100% SILICONE sealant/caulk rated for below waterline and apply it all around without fully tightening the fittings to form a gasket when it cures and then snug down the fittings a bit more after.

im not sure what would be best.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most likely it's the soft rubber breaking down. Plastic and rubber only survives 5-10 years before breaking down

BULL3TPR00F

Cadet
it doesn't look or feel like a rubber gasket breaking down but ill try to add some pics in the morning, too dark at the moment.

BULL3TPR00F

Cadet
Sorry its been raining pretty heavy here the last couple days haven't had the chance to take a better look and get some pictures.

still open to any other suggestions or if a rubber gasket alone by itself would be safe?

BULL3TPR00F

Cadet
Hey sorry for the extended 2 month delay. Weather was bad for weeks any chance I had some time off to do anything. And as it does usually, other things took precedent of my time, unfortunately.

But to the original topic, I'm fairly convinced everything that is sealed on this thing is sealed with butyl tape, including the through hull fittings (which are only sealed from the inside of the boat from what it looks like, without disassembly, I'm fairly certain there is no gasket on the outside fitting).

Last edited by a moderator: