Bass Pro Shops

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We went to Bass Pro Shops in Foxboro, MA today. I was looking for some good marine binoculars and figured they would have a nice selection since they sell boats, hunting & fishing gear, etc. What a letdown. They had one pair of 7X50 that was nothing special and that was it. Everything else there was not suitable for marine use. They did not have a single pair of marine binoculars, NO binoculars with a compass or rangefinder, Nothing weatherproof/fogproof that was marine grade, etc. They guy told me that the "buyer" is not a guy who is into marine stuff. I guess I'll be off to Cabela's and hope I have better luck.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bass Pro Shops

If you want the best money can buy (and it'll cost ya), check out Swarovski binoculars. I may be wrong, but I think Cabella's had them at one time. They may still. Good luck with whatever you go with.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My wife got me a pair from LL Bean for Christmas, but I don't think they're specifically marine binoculars. They have rubber hand grips though.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck! I stopped in Cabelas first big store in Nebraska, and found that they didn't have near the stuff in the catalogs. Many
many out of stock items. I buy practically everything online - it has it's drawbacks though. I hope you find what your looking for.
Tell us how it turned out.

puddle jumper

Captain

This may sound funny but I got my water proof binoculars at the local camera shop. They knew what they were talking about. If you think of it its all about the lenses. Take a look as you may be surprised what you find.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

For the most part, I have to say, I have been pretty disappointed in both Cabela's and Bass Pro shops the last few years..the staff has been worse that t!t's on a boar and their selections has been very poor at best, the camera shop is a great place to find many of these types of items..

bassman284

Commander

I'd like to look through a pair of Swarovskis some day but I dont think I'm ready to drop 2G for the privilege.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I'd like to look through a pair of Swarovskis some day but I dont think I'm ready to drop 2G for the privilege.

If you only use binoculars occasionally, Swarovski's are overkill. If you use them on a regular basis, and for any good length of time, though, they're worth every penny and then some. The difference is more profound than putting on a pair of cheap dollar store sunglasses, and then putting on a pair of Revo's, Maui Jim's, or Vuarnet's.