Barefoot waterskiing

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Question: How much horspower and how much speed is necessary to barefoot? How difficult to learn is it for an experienced slalom skier and wakeboarder? Can us older guys learn or is it so strenuous that it's just for the young ones?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Barefoot waterskiing

[colour=blue]If you are fit, age is no barrier. It is no more stressful than slalom skiing, IMHO.

The boat and the driver are crucial elements when learning barefooting. A boom is the easiest way to learn but shallow starts and wakeboard starts are possible - don't attempt a dry start until your insurance is upgraded. 8)

Your weight will determine what speed is best, I weigh 160 and I like the boat @ around 40 - 44. You can foot slower, but it's harder.

Oh, I nearly forgot - to make learning easier, you need the water to look like a pane of glass!

sangerwaker

Commander

The formula for spped is 10% of your body weight plus 20 MPH. So if you wigh 200 pounds, you would want a speed near 40. This is simply a guideline for basic barefooting. Dunaruna is correct that it is easier at higher speeds as the resistance decreases, but be very careful, the faster the speed, the harder the water gets.

I would highly reccomend learning from a professional instructor. You will learn faster and safer, without injuring yourself. Most people who try on their own give up because they hurt themself. At minimum, find an experienced barefooter and ask for some assistance.

Go to barefoot central dot com. There is a locate a footer page there that will direct you to barefooters in your area (by continent, country, and state). Another excellent site for instruction is http://www.frontiernet.net/~tdreyer/

I've taught many people to barefoot. Please don't think you are indestructable and try without the proper equipment or instruction. They will make your experinece rewarding and fun, instead of painful. A boom and padded barefoot suit are a must.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Great to watch for me. If I was 20 years younger I may just try it but I have enough trouble getting up on 2 ski's !!!!! LOL

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

There isn't much that you can't do at any age if you’re fit enough. I'm pushing 50 and still barefoot regularly but I wouldn’t recommend it if your just starting out and getting near this age. There is little to gain and a lot to lose. It’s very strenuous on your body; getting up, staying up and falling down is all gunna hurt and the older we get the longer we hurt. If you want to push ahead than my hats off to you. Head straight to a professional ski school or pay up your health insurance!!!!!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Paulie: I'm 61 but in excellent shape. I regularly speed skate (ice), ski, and water ski.

I know water hurts. I was whipping out behind the boat on a 100 foot rope and slalom ski because I wanted the speed. Lost it and went in. I estimate about 60 because the boat was doing 40. Tore the vest. My son asked if I was going to get up again. "S*** No! I'm getting in the boat." That's a humbling experience.

So, all things considered, maybe I'll try it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I tried it several times by attempting to step off a slalom. I eventually abandoned the idea because the water tickled my feet and I had visions of terrible injuries if I ran over a stump with my bare foot......then there was all that water in your face.

Mark

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Frank said:
Paulie: I'm 61 but in excellent shape. ......
So, all things considered, maybe I'll try it.

Good for you! Just PLEASE get some professional help, it'll be the best days pay you ever spend (won't hurt your skiing either)

Cheers

sangerwaker

Commander

EXACTLY!!! I tell everyone the same paulie! The ones who listen enjoy themselves and learn. The ones who don't give up usually because they hurt themselves/

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

^^ Yup!

interesting boat ......Sanger Waker? Couldn't find any info on it. Looks very similar to one of mine!

sangerwaker

Commander

It's a Sanger Barefoot outboard. 1997. Tournament barefoot boat from the early 90's until 1997. In '98 Sanger changed back over to inboards for tournament tow boats.

Mine is very similar to a Malibu Flightcraft outboard or the Custom Protoge' outboards. The Protoge's are about 1.5 feet longer, though.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

ahh, that explains it. Guess we hi-jacked this thread but it’s kind of related. Mine is the Malibu Skier, we don't get the sanger range here but when Malibu first arrived in Aus there was a company already using the name, in the end they came to a deal and mine was the last of the Aussie malibu's. After mine they were called a Stejcraft Skier. Great ski boat, I still have my inboard but that’s more of a weekend hotrod, the skier is the everyday boat! Here’s a pic.
Cheers
IMGP1491a.jpg

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been thinking about trying it for a long time. not sure though b/c-

-would tow w/ 17ft searay w/ 4 banger (im only 130lbs tho so that should be enough power?)
- no boom
- no barefoot expirence,

would probobly step off a slolom ski b/c im good at that. Comments?

sangerwaker

Commander

Don't even think about it! PLEASE follow my advice above. Your boat is not the issue-YOU and your lack of experience are. A boom and a qualified instructor are a must. By qualified I only feel it needs to be an experienced barefooter. I've had some people pick it up in 5 minutes, and others take a whole season. Don't go rusdhing into things. You are not Superman.

Basman, don't think I'm ripping on you. I'm just trying to make you understand and make your experience fun and rewarding. Seriously, go to barefootcentral dot com, and on the upper left of the page, there is a "locate a footer" icon. Click there and then click north america, then usa, then michigan. You'll find other footers in your area. Shoot them an email. Most of us footers are always willing to help someone learn. Just tell them you don'yt want to pay a pro and you just need help with proper techniques. I'd be happy to help you, but MI is a little far from MN. If you're really wanting to learn, maybe you could come to the WI MN get together at Lake Petenwell July 7th weekend. I'll have my boat and would be glad to give you some free lessons.

Here's a link to the get together thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=20;gtid=1234111

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sangerwaker said:
Don't even think about it! PLEASE follow my advice above. Your boat is not the issue-YOU and your lack of experience are. A boom and a qualified instructor are a must. By qualified I only feel it needs to be an experienced barefooter. I've had some people pick it up in 5 minutes, and others take a whole season. Don't go rusdhing into things. You are not Superman.

Basman, don't think I'm ripping on you. I'm just trying to make you understand and make your experience fun and rewarding. Seriously, go to barefootcentral dot com, and on the upper left of the page, there is a "locate a footer" icon. Click there and then click north america, then usa, then michigan. You'll find other footers in your area. Shoot them an email. Most of us footers are always willing to help someone learn. Just tell them you don'yt want to pay a pro and you just need help with proper techniques. I'd be happy to help you, but MI is a little far from MN. If you're really wanting to learn, maybe you could come to the WI MN get together at Lake Petenwell July 7th weekend. I'll have my boat and would be glad to give you some free lessons.

Here's a link to the get together thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=20;gtid=1234111

Well i asked because i wasnt sure, so im glad that i did. My uncle, aunt, and cousins are all real good barefooters but im really not that close with them so i haven't asked them to teach me, but maybe ill just give them a call. Thanks.

sangerwaker

Commander

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to scare anyone completely out of trying barefooting. I only want to make sure you enjoy yourself, learn some things, and avoid injury.

Barefooting is very easy if certain fundamentals are learned right away. Anyone can do it. The problem is when people try without any idea about a lot of specifics. Most people go too fast, and the faster you go, the more the water hurts! An experienced driver is also a huge factor to being successful your first time barefooting. The right teacher and equipment make it a slam dunk.

Another approach might be to check out a barefoot tournament in your area. Talk to some of the skiers. Most are friendly and helpful. Maybe talk to some of the barefooters on a local show ski team if you have one.

Best of luck. If you need any help, post back or email me.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i have already been looking at barefooting sections in books in my school library, and ive been looking at some of the sites that you linked so i have a pretty good idea how to do it, and my brother in law is a real good driver on regular skis but im not sure if hes pulled barefooters before. Do think i should still wait and talk to someone who is more expirenced or not?

sangerwaker

Commander

If at all possible, find someone with a boom and a barefoot wetsuit you can use. Trying behind the boat the first time is asking for defeat. I don't know of anyone who has successfully made their first of several attempts long line. Spend the time looking for a techer who you can borrow some equipment (boat, boom, suit) from. Your body will thank you.

An educated instructor will be able to point out bad form and posture immediately and get you skiing in the correct form quickly. Usually the only way you learn is by "the school of hard knocks" if you try without coaching and behind the boat.

I'm not telling you that it's impossible. Just you will learn more in one day with a professional instructor than you will in an entire season by yourself. That is no BS.

Another site is the ABC (American Barefoot Club) forum. You can ask there and all of us are footers. I am a member under the sam name as here.
http://www.barefootworlds.com/ABCForum/

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

I learned the craft on a long line about 25 years ago……..and still have the scars! In two weeks I broke my nose, dislocated my shoulder (still paying for that every night!!) and have severe rope burn scars on the inside of both legs……….Don't do it!!! You have been given the best advice your gunna hear here. Find a ski school and pay for a days tuition by a pro, you will enjoy the day, learn some new skills and learn the craft of barefoot skiing the correct / safe way. Take your slalom ski along also, you won't be footing all day so a few lessons on the ski and your skiing will improve out of sight guaranteed!!. You will go home a better skier and be well on your way to becoming a confident footer! Good luck.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

barefoot is the one thing i never picked up. My grandfather used to do it but hes not in anyshape to do that any more. a friend of mine is a memeber of a barefoot club around here and he has a boom, he said if i'm willin to learn to fall hes willin to teach me. I think once the water warms up i'll take him up on that offer. he says he compeats so i guess thats asclose as i can get to a pro for free.