band of brothers movie

crab bait

Captain
i just finished viewing the entire 5 dvd series ,last nite..<br /><br />very good to say the least.. produced by speilberg ,directed by hanks..<br /><br />it's a documentry that needed doin'..<br /><br />it's basicly about following one outfit ,, Easy company of the 506th 101st airborn unit from boot to nazis surrender...<br /><br />what's neet is they interveiw the real E-company men off & on thru-out the movie ( not many left ) an it's wild to see how the actors resemble the real men..<br /><br />its diffinately worth seein'..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: band of brothers movie

was a good movie. I also liked the interviews.<br /> in my youth I did volunteer work at the nursing home.I talked quite a bit with some WW1 and WW2 vets. had some amazing stories. wish now I had tape recorded some of them.

Laddies

Banned

WE need the thank all the men and women that have and are serving. To many times it takes a well done movie like this to remind us that, Freedom Isn't Free--- Bob

Homerr

Commander

Yep... I have that movie. One of my favorites.<br /><br />It really gives you an idea of what our men did for us.<br /><br />I thank each and every one of them.<br /><br />H.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Freedom Isn't Free--- Bob Well said, and some people pay a higher price for it. Thanks to all who served and are serving now, and lets not forget their families and their sacrifices too.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The Band of Brothers was only one of two books that I ever read two times back to back. It was such an incredibly compelling story that I had to reread it in an attempt to absorb more of it. <br /><br />The only other book that I felt that way about was "Endurance".

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tom Hanks was co-producer with Speilberg. It was his idea to make the series from Steven Ambroses book.<br /><br />Hanks' son appeared as the young West Point grad.<br /><br />The 101st did maneuvers in my neighborhood before going to England. My siblings and I got to know a few, though none of the characters in the series. All of our pals died at Bastogne. :( <br /><br />"Band Of Brothers" is a masterpiece of film and of history telling that everyone should see.

D

DJ

One word describes the series-POWERFUL.<br /><br />Too bad we have forgotten.<br /><br />I'm going to dig out my set, I just saw a B-17 fly over the house at about 1500 feet.

SoulWinner

Commander

I first saw the series on the History channel, then my son bought me the set. I think it is the best film ever produced of it's genre. Clearly that was the greatest generation of Americans.

MudIsFun

Seaman

"Gran-pa, were you a hero?"<br /><br />"No, but I served in the company of heros."<br /><br />Greatest quote from the interviews from the Major who started as their LT.

crab bait

Captain

yeah but if'n they be so great,, how come they all turned their heads/backs to the vietnam war.. an let it continue for 10 years.. <br /><br />the 'greatest generation' shpould be ashamed of them selves

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think crab bait is drinking. Or as a country western singer of fame once wrote....<br /><br />Son, you're walkin on the fightn side of me....

JB

I think you are mistaken, Crabby.<br /><br />My generation and the Greatest generation supported our troops and our efforts in Nam.<br /><br />It was the media and the boomers who lost that war for us.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I have heard the Speilberg and Hanks are teaming up to do a series based on the war in the Pacific. If so I can't wait to see it.

JB

That should be a winner, too. PH. :)

eeboater

Commander

I watched the first 2 DVDs... I think I'll start it over again - - the first 2 were great.<br /><br />Sean

SoulWinner

Commander

Crab,<br /><br />The ones that turned thier backs on Viet Nam were liberal democrats. After America pulled out of the theater, the Democrats (using Watergate as a diversion) refused to honor the agreements we had guaranteeing Finacial and military support in thier fight against the North. This led to the spread of soviet backed communist expansion through Viet Nam, Cambodi and Laos, costing tens of millions of innocent lives. Thanks liberal DNC, from all the murrdered South East Asian and Eastern European victims of your mindless politics! Maybe Hallmark can turn that into a greeting card.<br /><br />Hey, it's the truth.<br /><br />it needed sayin'

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

My father landed on Omaha beach. I landed in Da Nang.Yes, backs were turned to me but not by my father.The sad thing was we both thought we were in the last war.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was stationed at Fort Lewis WA we lived in Dupont. I lived next to a man named Sam Whitson that was one of the first American paratroopers. During WWII Sam jumped into France on D-day with the 101st ABN. He was very proud of what he did and very proud of his jump wings with the gold stars (gold stars represent combat jumps). He shared his stories with me I believe because I was a soldier and a former paratrooper. When I first saw the movie it reminded me of when Sam told me his stories of liberating France and fighting into Germany mile by mile. As I watched the movies it unfolded just like Sam’s stories “ Sam said the French girls were very appreciative of the American soldiers and showed it ”