Ball valve in fuel pickup tube necessary?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I am installing fuel tanks now in my 1986 Sea Ray AJ rebuild. I replaced a 140+ gal tank near my engine compartment with two 55 gal tanks located just short of mid-ship. Ancient SRs were notoriously rear-end heavy. SR recognized the error of their ways and replaced the 140+ gal tank with two side tanks in 1987. This moved fuel weight forward and added more fuel. The two fuel tubes that I cannibalized from the old tank had ball (I assume check) valves. The tubes were well over 24" long. I assume the valves assisted the mechanical fuel pumps in maintaining prime. In addition, I had issues a few years back with a Proline boat's electric fuel pump and anti-syphon valves. The Sierra pump could not keep up with the V8 motors past 3000 RPMs, if anti-syphon valve was left in tank. I even replaced one of the valves. I had to eliminate the anti-syphoned system or motors would not run much past 3K. I realize that the anti-syphon valve is for my protection, and I am hoping that my rebuild and its manual marine fuel pumps will supply enough fuel past the anti-syphon valves. My new tanks are < 14" height. My guess is that the ball valves are no longer needed, obsolete, or only needed for tall tanks?

tpenfield

Staff member
Check the USCG Regs on fuel tanks and fuel systems. I think the check valves are required.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Besides that, you will drain out the pump and lose prime every time you park. I think the main reason is that you don't syphon your tanks out into the boat if there's a leak.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you get new ones be sure they are brass and not aluminum plus hopefully U.S. made. The pipe thread on the aluminum ones can contract slightly and cause the ball to hang up.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks to all. I need at least one pickup tube for my build but I have not been able to find aluminum tubes and the ones listed on the web do not specify if they have check valves. Iboats has a
Moeller Flexible Fuel Pickup 22 but not real clear if it has valve installed.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The check-valve, aka: the anti-siphon valve is inside the hose barb fittin' at the tank's outlet,......

If yer gonna have 2 tanks for one motor, you need a selector valve, or you'll run outa gas, when one tank is empty,.....

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,..... The check-valve, aka: the anti-siphon valve is inside the hose barb fittin' at the tank's outlet,......

If yer gonna have 2 tanks for one motor, you need a selector valve, or you'll run outa gas, when one tank is empty,.....

Each tube has a check valve inside it and in addition, I have 4 special anti-syphon attachments between tank pickup and tank selector(s). Yes, it appears redundant. That's the plan anyway. Each tank has two pickups. I suspect that the attachments are improved anti-syphon devices. I have yet found a pickup tube advertising a check valve inside it. Thanks for responding!!

kenny nunez

Captain
If the new pick up tubes have a fine filter inside resembling a long small tube, remove them. They clog up too easy and the engine filters are good enough.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
If the new pick up tubes have a fine filter inside resembling a long small tube, remove them. They clog up too easy and the engine filters are good enough.

I have yet to find a total aluminum tube with aluminum or ss fitting. All are synthetic tubes. If I can remove check valves inside aluminum tube, I'd remove them all and just use special ball anti-syphon valve. I have 4 of these special valves.