BAJA Alternatives

Frenchy93

Cadet
Hi guys/girl, I'm new here, from Ontario Canada.

I am looking to get into a new to me boat and looking for alternatives to search for online. I want a boat similar to a 25FT Baja with a little sleeper in front but also fun. I also have a soft spot for older boats, especially Formula Boats such as the 272.

I would like to keep the boat between 25 and 28 FT and reliable.

Older boats are more than welcome as I quite like older boats.

Does anyone care to give me some suggestions? Keep in mind I am from Canada so if you are suggesting a boat that had few produced I more than likely will not be able to find it up here.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

Formula
Eliminator
Fountain
Baja
Wellcraft Scarab
Donzi
Chaparral

thumpar

Admiral
^^^ Ted hit the big names. You may also like a Cobalt or Crownline.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could also look for a SeaRay Pachanga

Frenchy93

Cadet
All, I found a pretty good deal on a 272 with twin 350s.

He mentioned the only thing wrong is a couple gauges don't work and ONE ENGINE IS QUICKER THAN THE OTHER (he says he thinks it's a throttle cable) and a small leak in the power steering pump.

What is your guys take on this "one engine quicker than the other" to me it sounds like a little more than a throttle cable..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could be a throttle cable, could be something else. Not enough information to determine

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
All, I found a pretty good deal on a 272 with twin 350s.

He mentioned the only thing wrong is a couple gauges don't work and ONE ENGINE IS QUICKER THAN THE OTHER (he says he thinks it's a throttle cable) and a small leak in the power steering pump.

What is your guys take on this "one engine quicker than the other" to me it sounds like a little more than a throttle cable..

That's an odd comment to make. Most twin engine boats have a small discrepancy in where the throttles are positioned to keep the RPM's equal. This can be adjusted out by the throttle cables (or maybe even the idle depending on when the quicker happens) and is pretty common. So common it's not something you really would bring up IMO.

However, if there is a large difference in the throttle positions it could mean one is down on power and there is a larger issue looming. Compression check both the motors for sure.