Baitcasting reel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
As a kid I used closed face spinning reels. For the past 60 years I used open face spinning reels. Shakespears are good, Mitchells and Pfluegers are better.

The other day I was in Cabelas and their reel display must have had at least 50 of the fancy bait casting reels. I couldn't belive the prices!!!...

So, why do I want to buy one of them? What do they do that an open face spinning won't do?

I googled Shakespear and they have several models at a fraction of the price. Are they no good?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JimS123, I have to say YES there are uses for Bait Cast reels. If you like to feel more of a hit out of any setup, a Bait Caster reel allows for more feel in my opinion because the line comes into the reel straight and not making any sharp turn to be spooled up again. It is like a winch in effect. But I can feel subtle hits better on Bait Cast reels then any other type. And the effort to retrieve any type lure is amazingly easier as well. So after a long day casting and retrieving, you are not as fatigue. I also feel I can pin point my casts better as well. JMHO!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Spinning reels
Pro:
Shorter leaning curve
No birds nest
Ease of use
Use bargain brand in non-critical applications
Cons:
Reduced line capacity
wind knots
shorter casting distance
Inferior drags

Bait caster/ conventional
Pro:
Superior drags
Increased line capacity
Better line/ depth control
Superior casting distance
Casting heavy weights
Cons:
Long learning curves
Birds nest
You get what you pay for
Bird nests....

As a SW fisherman there are very few applications I prefer a spinner. Light tackle jigging for Stripers is one of them. Jigging for tuna is the other.

Good quality spinning reels are not cheap either. The most expensive reel I own is a spinner. Google Penn Battle, Shimano Stradic, Shimano Symetre and Van staal VS250. For the money, pretty hard to beat a Okuma AV series

Last edited:

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I fish with Abu-Garcia baitcasters. Not even interested in the other brands. Cheap baitcasters are far worse than cheap spinning reels! That said....I don 't understand the more accurate casting statements I hear. My casting accuracy with a baitcaster has ALWAYS sucked! If I need pinpoint acurracy like dropping a lure in small openings in cover, I use a spinning outfit!

MRS

Commander
I fish with Abu-Garcia baitcasters. Not even interested in the other brands. Cheap baitcasters are far worse than cheap spinning reels! That said....I don 't understand the more accurate casting statements I hear. My casting accuracy with a baitcaster has ALWAYS sucked! If I need pinpoint acurracy like dropping a lure in small openings in cover, I use a spinning outfit!

You need more practice with the bait caster or you are using to light of a lure. :fish2:

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well...I've fished with them since the seventies....still no accuracy. I know all about matching line to rod and adjusting reels to suit the lures. Just no accuracy! Distance I have no problem with, at least I can hit the lake....somewhere!

MRS

Commander
Did not mean to sound rude but is all in the thumb control and match the rod to the weight of what you are throwing. Have fished salt and fresh water with casting reels for a long time and love them but have many spinners also for the light stuff drags on casting reels so much better on the big fish.
But what ever works for folks is what they should use fish in the boat is good fish does not know or care what got it in the boat. :fish2:

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought another today ...really marked down because it is a 2015 model! Yeah...maybe I need to use them ALL the time and better train my thumb. I have no problem with birdsnests unless I try to throw too lite a lure into the wind! I have a left/right accuracy problem. Can't cast overhand at all...like with spinning.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a variety of bait cast reels and in "my opinion", it is really hard to buy a bad bait caster these days. So many offerings that have such modern technology with ball bearings and drag capabilities, how can you really buy one that is bad? IF you practice with them and understand their capabilities, and yours, you will learn to like them so much. They certainly do have a place in my tackle setup. :thumb:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Well I just bought one - a Pfleuger. I got a new gun for retirement, so I guess I needed a new fishin pole too.....LOL.

Now, to decide whether to fill it with mono or braid...

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've looked at the Pflugers...seems to be a good reel. Wife likes them! But I'm not so sure she just isn't into the pretty colors! I know it works that way with her as far as lures are concerned!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got mono on all of mine. But I'm also trying to decide if I should go to a braid for my not yet purchased Musky reel. I know it needs different knots....and backing attached to it unless you want to spend a fortune on line! At least on the higher capacity models!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I trick some folks use with high capacity reels is to use the selected line and when it needs attention, they un-spoil it and rewind it back on in reverse to fill the spoil. I guess that can work unless you fight a fish that takes a lot of line when running. :noidea:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've got mono on all of mine. But I'm also trying to decide if I should go to a braid for my not yet purchased Musky reel. I know it needs different knots....and backing attached to it unless you want to spend a fortune on line! At least on the higher capacity models!
I use Penns on 7 foot Eagle Claw Trolling rods. These are old USA ECs, not the new china ones. 36# braid with lead core - it changes color every 10 yards.

We fish in about 25' of water and troll at 1.9 mph with 4 colors out. That drops the lure to about 19' down, right where the big ones are. Muskies are my #1 favorite fishing. JeffFish.JPG

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
i love braid but not on a bait caster. Unless properly sized, (match line od, not line weight) braid tends to dig into the spool causing birds nest and break offs.

foodfisher

Captain
I use spinners but, all the long casting competitors I've seen use baitcasting reels vs spinners.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh no, I guess we can add "Spinning vs bait casting reels" to one of those "what is the best 2 cycle oil" type questions now. :facepalm:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Oh no, I guess we can add "Spinning vs bait casting reels" to one of those "what is the best 2 cycle oil" type questions now. :facepalm:
Hardly....."best 2 cycle oil" debates are never based upon a verifiable performance metric. Mostly opinions based upon frugality and circumstantial evidence at best.

On the other hand, there are pretty clear cut winners and losers when comparing reel types. Of course, there will always be that guy that claims he caught the biggest fish of his life using a Snoppy reel, therefore.....lol

bassman284

Commander
I go back and forth between spinner and bait caster depending on how I'm fishing. I find the bait caster is best for dragging crank baits and generally prefer the spinning reel for top waters and small spinners. When I'm worming I could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.