Bad Vapor Separator??

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trouble shooting a problem I have with warm engine starts. When the engine is cold it fires right up, I go through the channel and then plane right out. Boat runs great. Once we stop and turn engine off for a while the truoblebegins. The engine dies when once I put it in gear. Happens 5-7 times. Once she gets going she runs great.

I ran into a thread that suggested it was a bad vapor separator.

Here is the question (Finally): Does my 1999 225 HP have a vapor seperator?

Any suggestions on any other possible solutions would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks in advance.......

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Bad Vapor Separator??

I don't think any carbed J/E's have a vapor separator.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

All your 60 degree V-4 & V-6 engines have them and it has a small vapor pump also, the 90 degree carbed engines does not have them. The 225 in question does not have one. Chiliando is the bulb staying hard when this happens?

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replys guys.

The bulb does get a little soft but does not get soft.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Make sure idle rpm is around 900-975 after it comes out of quick start, if not adjust it.

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will do that. Any idea why it only does it when warm. Like I said, the first start of the day is great.

My motor did the same exact thing.175 Intruder.What fixed it was redoing the fuel connection at the motor and putting a new clamp on it.Went through 2 different marina's and neither could solve it.Rebuilt carbs,new fuel pump ect.Sad situation!!!I just did it out of frustration one day and wham it fixed it.Mine never did show any fuel leakage there but apparently was able to suck air in.Give it a try just might work for you.It sounds EXACTLY like what mine was doing.

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, that would be such an easy fix!

I will try that this weekend. Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

An air leak anywhere on the suction side of the fuel pump will cause problems. Very easy to check all the way back to the tank. Also, check for anti-siphon valve proper operation (usually in tank outlet) and for debris blocking the tank pickup screen. A less common problem is a cracked tank pickup tube.