Bad Stator?

TripleB

Cadet
Today I went to hook up a Tac on a project boat and motor (1984 115 merc) I have been working on and when I hooked it up I got a reading of 1500 rpm ..... motor was running much lower then that so I disconnected wiring, removed the tac from the console, re-hooked up with 3 new shorter wires (+ and - to straight to battery) and the third to the rectifier against the yellow wire running from the Stator. Started motor up and still reading 1500 RPM ........ Disconnected tec, dug out another tac I had in a shed installed and same results ...... So next thing I did was switch the wire from the tac to the other pole on the rectifier and against the other yellow wire from the Stator , fire it up and tec reads 800 rpm. I swap tec out to the first one I had tried and also reads 800 RPM.

Swapping around stator wires and tac wires to different combos on the rectifier show that when hooked up to one of the yellows off the stator I get a good reading, off the other I get a bad ...... during the whole process of installing and testing the red wire to the + pole on the rectifier was not connected at all. So question is ...... is my stator going bad? motor runs good right now, idles fine good hole shot and top end (red wire to + pole on rectifier still not hooked up yet ... not there yet on build)

Luckymann77

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bad Stator?

+1 on the rectifier...

Unhook the rectifier and test across the the stator wires.

TripleB

Cadet

Unhook the rectifier and test across the the stator wires.

Ok .. I do not have a manual, so Im not sure what exactly results I'm looking for ... I unhooked the stator wires from the rectifier and tested with ohm meter.

Yellow to Yellow ... meter setting OHM 200 ....... results ..... 1 to .9
Yellow to ground .. meter setting OHM 200K ...... results .... 00.1 (same on both Yellows to ground)
Yellow to ground .. meter setting OHM 20M ....... results .... 0 ""

TripleB

Cadet

Well ran that test on the rectifier and all 4 tests fail .... complete opposite of what is should be ......

Now here is the real sweet part ......... have/had a brand new sierra rectifier in the packaging, took it out thinking I'm all good to go tomorrow, ran the test on the brand new one and it is exactly the same .... fails all 4 tests, complete opposite also.

Think I'm going to take my meter to the store with me when I pick up another new one on Monday :blue:

Luckymann77

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I didn't make that clear...
Try testing the output voltage in VAC mode on your vohm acoss both yellow wires while the engine is running...
without the rectifier hooked up...
You should see 13-14 VAC...slightly higher than the VDC battery voltage...
That should tell you if the stator is outputting correctly...

Then test OHMs from each yellow stator wire to ground...
This will tell you if the stator has a short to ground...

Ohms across both yellow wires will be in the 0.4 range, if memory serves...

My '77 1150 rectifier was shorted to ground effectively shorting the output of the stator and giving me false readings while it was in the circuit.
Replacement of the rectifier has cured that prob!!!
Not sure yet what effect it had on engine performance...but pretty obvious that it would.

Hope this helps and is clearer.

Last edited:

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well ran that test on the rectifier and all 4 tests fail .... complete opposite of what is should be ......

Now here is the real sweet part ......... have/had a brand new sierra rectifier in the packaging, took it out thinking I'm all good to go tomorrow, ran the test on the brand new one and it is exactly the same .... fails all 4 tests, complete opposite also.

Think I'm going to take my meter to the store with me when I pick up another new one on Monday :blue:

There is nothing wrong with your meter. The polarity of your meter, while in resistance mode, is not industry standardized. Therefore, it may read opposite on a diode test. If what you say is true, there is likely nothing wrong with the rectifiers.....

TripleB

Cadet

There is nothing wrong with your meter. The polarity of your meter, while in resistance mode, is not industry standardized. Therefore, it may read opposite on a diode test. If what you say is true, there is likely nothing wrong with the rectifiers.....

Well that helps explains why when I ran over to a buddies this morning and grabbed a rectifier off his 80 HP parts motor that it tested exactly the same as the two I have sitting here .. :laugh:

So then back to my Original question ...... My stator .... is it no good? ........ motor runs great when the 2 yellows or the red wire from the stator are not hooked up to the rectifier (yes I can have either the 2 yellows or the red hooked up and runs great, hook them all up at time and it stumbles and wont rev past about 2500 or 3500)

I thought that there was a Ohm test that could be run to test these 3 wires of the stator as I had posted above.

(Not running from stator leads)
Yellow to Yellow ... meter setting OHM 200 ....... results ..... 1 to .9
Yellow to ground .. meter setting OHM 200K ...... results .... 00.1 (same on both Yellows to ground)
Yellow to ground .. meter setting OHM 20M ....... results .... 0 ""

Just not sure what results I am looking for. CDI seems to have changed the site around and I cant find any of there old and easily explained pages on testing these old motors anymore. lol

Last edited:

Luckymann77

Seaman Apprentice

Still believe your issue is this...
First, test across the yellow wires while running the motor without the rectifier hooked up at all...
Vohm meter set at 200 VAC and see if you get around 13-14 VAC at idle...
If so, then your stator is OK...
If not, then you have the answer.

It prolly is the rectifier, you have a spare, you said that you tested it but try it and see.
Or are you having the same/similar issue with the spare rectifier installed, too?

If that doesn't fix it then again, the problem is elsewhere.

TripleB

Cadet

Installed the new rectifier and nothing changed.

Tested yellow to yellow stator wires unhooked from the rectifier.

Meter set at 200 VAC ....... results ..... at idle ............................ 20 VAC
Meter set at 200 VAC ....... results ..... approximately 2500 rpm .... 57 VAC

:blue: Looks like its time to order a new stator

Last edited: