bad rectifier question

jcdoll

Cadet
Ill start off by saying that im am not a outboard mechanic and have never claimed to be. This is my first post on the web site, but I have spent many hours reading over the posts trying to learn a thing or two about outboards, and I think this is a great site. A lot of good info. I have a 1987 Johnson 150. The problem that I am having is that my Tach doesnt work, and after reading through the posts and looking through a shop manual for my outboard it apears to me that a bad rectifier could be the culprit. The tach is a brand new one and I really doubt its bad. Connections are tight on the tach, and it is set at 6. I ran the troubleshooting test in the shop manual for the rectifier and it failed, no amps either way. My question is does the rectifier serve any other puropose other than to send the signal to the tach? And this may be a stupid question but will it hurt to run my outboard with a bad rectifier? I will eventually get it replaced, but from what I have seen a new one for my outboard will cost $200 and I dont feal real comfortable pulling off the flywheel and doing it myself, so that means a trip to the mechanics.<br /><br />Also a little background on my outboard. I was having major problems with it loosing power when I gave it gas. Took it to the mechanic and they replaced one power pack, stator, and timer base. After they had it for two months. I still had the same problem. Being they had it for so long and the large bill, and hearing from other boat owners that the mechanics at that particular marina are not very knowledgeable and try to rip people off (unfortunately they are the only close OMC mechanics), I took it to a Merc/Mariner shop. They replaced the other power pack and it runs like new, other than the tack problem.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!!!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: bad rectifier question

You no doubt have a water cooler regulator/rectifier assy on that engine which would be mounted on top of the block just to the rear of the flywheel.<br /><br />There will be a gray wire leading from that reg/rectifier assy to a screw retainer at a terminal block. There will be another gray wire attached to that terminal which leads to the engine wiring harness, and that wire leads to the tachometer sensor terminal.<br /><br />Move that gray tachometer lead from the gray wire terminal and attach it to one of the yellow stator leads. If one of those yellow leads is actually a yellow lead with a gray stripe (yellow/gray), that lead would be preferable.<br /><br />Start the engine and observe the tachometer. If the tach operates using this mentioned temporary wiring setup, the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing.<br /><br />Note... If the regulator/rectifier is indeed faulty, do not put off replacing it as eventually (usually a short time), it will melt down, catch fire, etc.... not a nice sight!

jcdoll

Cadet

Thanks Joe,<br /><br />There is a yellow/gray wire. Ill run the test with the temporary wiring setup. If it turns out to be a bad regulator/rectifier, Im not going to try and run it anymore until I get the regulator/rectifier replaced.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The $29.96 item I think you will find is the smaller "Rectifier" only component, a small dome shaped item with two yellow wires and one red wire. This is used for the lower ampere stators and is attached to the starboard side of the powerhead.<br /><br />The water cooled "Regulator/Rectifier" is a larger rectangular like shaped component which bolts to the top portion of the powerhead just behind the flywheel, and it is rather expensive.