Bad idleing

red cobia 17'

Seaman
I have a 1996 Carb.225 Merc.and after a short time of trolling my engine starts running rough and keeps shutting off.It starts right back up.When I refuel my boat back up and refill my oil it seems like it is using too much oil.I have checked the oil setting and it is set where it is suppose to be.Any suggestions? Last time I fueled up I put 83 Gallons of gas and it used 2.5Gallons of oil.

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Bad idleing

those motors had several issues.does yours have a throttle position sensor? best thing to do is to decarbonize this motor often & use the best oil available & the additives mercury marine says to use,they can carbon up the exhaust housing relief holes.they had some kind of a fix,like pulling the powerhead & drilling out these holes.you probably need to talk to a real mercury professional in your area.if not you can contact me at 830 305 1269. rick

red cobia 17'

Seaman
Re: Bad idleing

Yes my motor has a T.P.S.I use Mercury Premium Plus 2-cycle oil now.I also use Star Tron Additive in my fuel.I'm just wondering if my oil pump is going bad because of the accessive oil usage,and causing it to load up at idle.I don't really notice alot of smoke except when I first start the motor but it clears up.