Bad ground? :confused:

nnosker

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />First the Stats.<br />'71 + - Mercury 80 horse Kiekhaefer 800 4 cyl. Thunderbolt Ignition. Serial # 318469<br /><br />Two weeks ago, couldnt get any spark to the plugs, and we were getting juice to the power pack, so we thought it was the power pack. When I was playing with it today, I tried something that the owner before mentioned, which was to touch the 3rd screw on the switch box (which is for a blue wire that runs into the trigger) with a screwdriver to the frame. Grounding it out, and then it will work he says. So I tried this, and sure enough, beautiful blue spark. :eek: <br /> But, it wouldnt start up, and didnt even sound like it was getting spark. Took the plugs out again, and they were damp, so gas it coming thru. This is the flat end style plugs.<br /> Carbs, and everything was cleaned very well, and this is also brand new gas. After 4 hours of scrating head, we shot some carb cleaner in, and stuck the plugs in, and she started poppin. Finally she was firing on all 4's. My question is how come it even had spark in the first place. Because sometimes it does not get any spark at all, and we ground out the 3rd screw on switch box (blue wire to trigger) and she then has spark. We are thinking it is some kind of bad ground, but where. Does anyone know where that blue wire runs to into the trigger? Want to fix this whatever it is, because I dont think it is good to ground it out like that. We looked at all the wires we could see, and replaced all that didnt look good, and still can't figure it out. HELP!! Will be happy with whateber advise is thrown this way. :confused:

nnosker

Cadet
Re: Bad ground? :confused:

? Still haven't figure any good logic on this yet. Having problems with it yet. Hope someone has some good thoughts. Thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The engine, if properly stored,had a bunch of fogger in the combustion cahmber. This fogger doesn't burn very good (this is just a guess).<br /><br />I don't think it's a problem of grounding-out the wire as much as corosion in one or more of the connectors. This will be white in color (in most cases).And the only way to find it is to remove the connector at the terminal, one at a time, and cleaning the terminal and connector, nut,bolt ect..Just as you would a car's battery......Only a whole bunch smaller. So we use a Dremmel drill with a small wire brush attahment on it..It really does an awesome job. No, I don't wrk for Dremmel, but the wrenches here will back me up on this.Nothing does a better job of cleaning these tiny contact points. But I'm 80% sure this is your problem.It's very common.

troyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Related question, on a 70hp Nissan 2 cyl.; Is the power pack the black box with the spark plug wires coming out of it ?? I have a 2 cyl., one of the plug wires doesn't snap all the way on the plug, and the little spring part pulled out, corroded to the plug; can just his wire be replaced, or do you have to buy the whole pack ??