Bad Gas tank design

Seagrouch

Cadet
Bought a 2022 22’ Veranda with a 150 hp Yamaha I am having a lot of problems with a gas tank collapsing in I am being told by Veranda this is normal I am having alot of trouble believing this . it is holding water on top of tank which we all know water and gas don’t n mix I have not heard back from the marina I bought it from This starting getting worst after my 20 hr service, So this has me wandering if they even looked at anything Please if anyone is having this issue or knows what I can do about this I would appreciate any suggestions Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Guessing it’s one of the new fangled, zero emission tanks without a vent.

If so, and if it’s anything like the gas cans, very well could be the new normal…..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Is it a red plastic "portable' tank? Does it have the EPA compliant assembly in the fuel line?

The EPA valve is to ensure that if the tank pressurizes, no fuel will go into the engine and spill out.

Any tank must have a vent or the engine won't pull the fuel.

If my EPA tanks have the vent closed, they will expand when it gets hot. Also with the vent closed they will collapse when being used.

My guess is that your tank is not venting and your fuel pump has a lot of guts. I also guess that your dealer is an idiot. This isn't rocket science.

Seagrouch

Cadet
It is a 55 gal in place tank in third too and it sit in water half way up tank **** poor design and not sure what options I have But I feel it will get worst and of course it will be out of warranty They could have put a heavier poly tank in I really would like to know options

mr 88

Commander
Who installed the gas tank ? That's where I would start. It's a brand new boat have you contacted mfg ?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It is a 55 gal in place tank in third too and it sit in water half way up tank **** poor design and not sure what options I have But I feel it will get worst and of course it will be out of warranty They could have put a heavier poly tank in I really would like to know options
I don't understand your comments.

"Third too"???

"Sit in water"???

Does the boat leak? Drain out the water. Use the bilge pump.

Is this a pontoon with the tank on the transom?

It has to have a vent. Fix the vent. Go to another dealer. You are getting bad advice.

Seagrouch

Cadet
That was supposed to say third toon or middle toon and when docked the water is sitting in toon, I am not sure if tank is vented or not

Seagrouch

Cadet
Touted as a luxury toon....

I'd start there. It's a new boat, has a warranty, use it. Be persistent, polite, yet firm.
Thank you I did reach out and got a answer that this is normal and that the tank is made to be under water but I have trouble believing this because there are holes in top of a tank that is concave in with gaskets that will go bad after years , Oh yeh it will be out of warranty, so now it will cost a lot of money to replace tank These boats are not cheap and it is a real burden on the buyer Veranda should make this right.

Seagrouch

Cadet
I don't understand your comments.

"Third too"???

"Sit in water"???

Does the boat leak? Drain out the water. Use the bilge pump.

Is this a pontoon with the tank on the transom?

It has to have a vent. Fix the vent. Go to another dealer. You are getting bad advice.
Boat doesn’t leak when it is dock or sitting in lake the middle toon fills with water , when running all the water runs out but when you put in reverse the water runs over the gas tank sitting in toon , then with the tank concave in the water sits on top , not sure if tank is vented or not

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Boat doesn’t leak when it is dock or sitting in lake the middle toon fills with water , when running all the water runs out but when you put in reverse the water runs over the gas tank sitting in toon , then with the tank concave in the water sits on top , not sure if tank is vented or not
Doesn't sound too "luxury" to me.

All the pontoon boats that I have seen have a plugged drain hole aft. The plug can be removed to drain any water that came in from damage to the tube.

I don't know about having a bad gas tank design, but to me that surely is a bad toon design.

If your tank does NOT have a vent, or if the vent is clogged, the tank would collapse when you run the engine. That's your problem, isn't it?

Not rocket science. Examine the tank to find the vent and make sure its clear.

You really should post pictures of the middle tube and gas tank. That is one design I'd surely like to see..

Thirsty Endgrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you I did reach out and got a answer that this is normal and that the tank is made to be under water but I have trouble believing this because there are holes in top of a tank that is concave in with gaskets that will go bad after years , Oh yeh it will be out of warranty, so now it will cost a lot of money to replace tank These boats are not cheap and it is a real burden on the buyer Veranda should make this right.
Your 2022 boat is out of warranty?

briangcc

Commander

3 year for her/his model year. I think the comment was that eventually the gasket would wear out, after the warranty expired, and then the owner would be on the hook for the repairs. At least, if I'm reading all that right...which apparently is questionable today.

Thirsty Endgrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

3 year for her/his model year. I think the comment was that eventually the gasket would wear out, after the warranty expired, and then the owner would be on the hook for the repairs. At least, if I'm reading all that right...which apparently is questionable today.
Thanks I read that wrong. While you may be questionable, you escaped this time ;)