Bad Fuel Pump? Johnson 20hp

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all - well I just got back from a week in the Keys and my 12' Carolina Skiff with the Johnson 20 did pretty well. The only complaint I have is that once I really got planed out and cruising the motor would sputter and die. I had 2 different tanks and hoses with primer bulb and the same thing happened with both setups. Once I got planed out I tried to pump the ball but I couldn't keep up and could never get it to harden up as it should. The tanks were vented (even cap off at times to be sure). I also rebuilt the carb a couple months ago and nothing but fresh gas through it since then. Running at low speeds was no problem at all and I could put around all day with no issues - only when it was wide open or anywhere close to it.

Bad fuel pump? Something else I should check?

Thanks!

lindy46

Captain
Re: Bad Fuel Pump? Johnson 20hp

Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me.

mxhonda801

Recruit

Wish i could help you out iam going to tag along and see what the issue could be.My 25 hp mercury was doing the exact same thing this weekend only bogged out when i was half to full throttle i could prime the bulb when it was bogging out and it would run same as u explained.And no issues just cruiseing at low speed.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess replacing the pump isn't a bad idea anyway. Sounds like a fairly easy place to start. I just looked at the Fuel Pump Kits vs. the whole Fuel Pump on the iboats store and it looks like it's $20 for the kit and $50 for the whole deal. Is it worth the 30 bucks to replace the whole thing or do the kits replace everything that could go wrong?

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

The kit's contain everything you need to rebuild it, but if you have the extra 30 bucks, save yourself the aggrevation and buy a new one. Rebuilding those things involves messing with very small parts lost easily, and they need some good eyesight.