Bad Experience with Mercury and Bass Pro.....

25catfishperday

Recruit
I bought a small Mercury (3.5 hp) from Bass Pro. This is for a small 10' boat I use for catfishing on the river behind my house.

Literally a brand new engine. Ran great for 1 tank. Than started puking fuel out the fuel line on the back into the river and stalling. After getting it started to limp back, it wouldn't go in gear at all. When in drive, it just revs, like it's stuck in neutral.

I found another post where people had this problem with a brand new mercury engine.

Take it to Bass Pro, and their response. "We are short-handed, it will be 5-weeks before we can even look at it", which defeats the whole reason I bought a new engine, which was to have a worry free summer of fishing.

Arriving at Bass Pro, the lady doesn't even know what she's talking about. Tells me, they can't test if it goes in gear or not without it being on the boat? Don't they have a freaking tank?

Than she ask me, would I like an estimate for the repair and how I will pay?

WTF do you mean, how will I pay? It's a brand new engine?????!

This will be my last purchase from them.. :(

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

Ask to speak with the Service Manager, the Manager, or the Owner. Be polite and courteous in public, in private where there aren't any Witnesses, the smile can come off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They sell a lot of motors for the factory.----The factory loves it.------The small dealers that cared have disappeared.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
did they register the warrantee with Mercury?
that's what I'd want to know right away
we bought a Suzuki DF 2.5 from a dealer and the trouble we did have was covered under warrantee.

Chief Petty Officer
Head office.
Call them.
They'll open a case for you.
Provide documentation.

Those little mercs are great btw zero issues

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is it worth checking the drive pin in the prop hasn’t gone ?

airshot

Rear Admiral
See if you have any other Mercury dealers in your area, or talk to the store mgr, even go to the head honcho of BassPro...no excuse for this kind of treatment. This iscthe reason I use my credit card for all big purchases, if there is an issue, just call the cc company and have a hold put on their account, ecen 6 months after your purchase, the cc company just deducts the amount from the BassPro account.....that will definetly get there attention, unfortunately I have had to do this on a number of ocassions, but once their account is dinged they are morevthan willing to get yiur issue fixed!!! Just the way business goes today.....