Bad day on the water - NEED ADVICE!!

inAjet

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

Had a really bad day on the water last week. Our Alpha One leg hit a deadhead square on at about 25 knots. Busted the bell housing and gimbal ring in half, and the leg was hanging by the hydraulic rams. Started taking on water through the gimbal bearing. We managed to save the hull through a quick response over VHF and a tow to a nearby marina that had a sling lift.

The drive itself is in good shape. The only visible damage is to the bell housing and gimbal ring - none whatsoever to the transom shield. I though we might get away with only having to replace the bell housing and gimbal ring, but my shop is telling me they want to replace the transom shield as well due to potential issues with the clearances in the upper and lower gimbal pivot points due to the impact. This adds another 5 grand (CAD) to the job because of the cost of the new transom as well as the cost of pulling the motor.

I get it - it was obviously a big impact, and there could be damage not visible to the naked eye. Don’t want to risk bringing an invisible issue out on the water with us. But my question for those more experienced than me is: is this really necessary, or can we get away without replacing the transom shield? They also mentioned they’d have to pull the motor anyway to change the gimbal ring, but I was almost certain you could do it without. Am I wrong here?

Appreciate any advice you may be able to offer…

Attachments

• CC611E92-2D41-412C-B77F-E11F5EB1B1D5.jpeg
    CC611E92-2D41-412C-B77F-E11F5EB1B1D5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 46
  • A2E31EBD-7116-404C-ACA1-149FD91F7F6C.jpeg
    A2E31EBD-7116-404C-ACA1-149FD91F7F6C.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 46

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pull the motor and replace everything aft of the motor myself.

yes, because if the impact broke things outside the boat, is most likely broke things in the boat

at a minimum you should inspect. this would be an insurance claim.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Had a customer who has been there, replace the transom housing because there is unseen damage and you most likely lost the seal and will take on water .1627040613774.jpeg

tpenfield

Staff member
Essentially, you are asking the shop to cut corners and that is something they are not likely to do. Keep in mind that your expectations of the repair may not reflect cutting corners and having subsequent issues.

I agree with the other posts . . . everything behind the motor is suspect, because it all experienced the impact. The engine should come out to do a careful inspection/repair/replacement of the transom assembly and all the various bits. I'd be surprised if the outdrive itself were really in good shape after the impact.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yes replace all of it. Seen this before, you are taking 50/50 chance of paying for the labor twice.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Get a used transom housing off Ebay if you do a serach they are between $700-1200 for units minus trim rams. Either way engine needs to come out and inspect the transom for hidden damage. Finacially painfull but your mechanic is steering you straight.

Speak with your insurance company unless you know you dont have hull damage coverage

inAjet

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, all, for the excellent advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. As I mentioned, I don’t want to risk bringing an invisible issue out on the water with us, i.e. I don’t want to cut corners - just looking to see if there were any different experiences out there. They did inspect the drive and said it was OK other than having to replace the U joint due to evidence of impact damage.

It is indeed an insurance claim; however, our policy is an actual cash value policy instead of replacement value, so the insurance company will give me what they think the street value is for the partson a 20 year old boat. Needless to say, I am watching the cost closely.

On another note, is there any other work that you would do while already going to the effort of pulling the motor and having the leg removed? I would think bellows for sure.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
With the motor out it easy to inspect the pan for heavy rust, starter cobnditon , motor mount condition etc,.and if not done in 5-8 years the rear motor mount bushings especially from the impact shock on the motor

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed while its big number price wise it is the best plan long term, both from the point of view of repairing ALL the damage and fixing other things that cause trouble on older boats (oil pans, starters, steering arms, hinge pins etc).

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
also worth mentioning there is too much stuff in the way to try to inspect the transome from the inside. Might want to figure out the cost vs the worth of the boat

inAjet

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the good list of items to check.

I’ve definitely considered the cost vs. value of the boat, and we’re basically almost equal at this point; however, given the significant increase in cost of used boats we’ve noticed in our part of the world due to COVID, as well as insurance covering at least part of the repair, I think fixing it will still be cheaper than buying a new boat.

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes of course. If its a good boat and you like her that makes all the diff in the world. I'm currently helping to restore a 1979 20ft Grady White that a friend inherited from his father when He passed. The boat isn't worth the money but his memories are priceless. We are having to remove the engine to replace the inner housing as well.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As long as you are in there, May as well replace the bellows, lower shift cable, gimble bearing and trim pucks.