Bad day for Drag Racing

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just learned, was not watching, that one of the NHRA's top guns, Darrell Russell was fataly injured in a drag race in Madison, Ill.<br />He was just 35 years old. Such a waste.<br /><br />Many here know I am a big drag racing fan and this is a shock for me.<br /><br />You can read about it here, http://www.nhra.com/index.html if you want.<br /><br />My thoughts are with Julie and the whole Russell family.<br />You were fast on earth Darrell, wish you God's speed now.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bad day for Drag Racing

That had to be some sort of freak accident. I've seen many racers walk-away from the same type of event. I guess it's more of a statement of how safe the sport has become, that this tragedy is hard to understand. He was a hard-charger, and he will be missed. Yet he died doing what he lovbed the most. It would be like me dying suddenly in a motorcycle wreck, as opposed to cancer, I think. <br />May God be with his family, and see them thru the grief.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

He looks so young,(35) what a tradgic accident. May God grant comfort to the Family, Friends, and Fans. <br /><br />With that being said, I'm not sure I understand the Media's use of terms. When reading the article, Is it just me, or does the two words <br />"Fataly Injured" sound wierd to anyone else? <br />Maybe I'm losin it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

No GodsBeast, if you die in a car wreck, then your were a fatality and so, you had a fatal injury, thus, "Fatally Injured"<br /><br />He died from major head trauma.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Wow, Its been a long time since someone died in NHRA.<br /><br />Something must have gone really wrong.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Ken, when he deployed the chute, the car just folded up.<br />The report that I got was that something hit him hard in the back of the head.

gaugeguy

Captain

That's what I heard too SBN. The car just exploded. Have they figured out what caused the car to do that?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Have not heard, just what I seen in the video.<br />He crossed the finish line and pulled the chute and that was it.<br /><br />IMO, I think the car put some oil down and the big tires got on it and with all that sudden stopping force from the chutes, it turned it sideways and buckled the car, cause it just folded up.

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, the races won't be the same without him. I've seen John Force walk away from worse looking wrecks. Just goes to show that you never know.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea TR, it had something to do with the roll cage letting something strike him in the head, cause NHRA has implemented new rules for roll cages for the top fuel cars starting the next race in Denver.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

Sad Sad day. It took the mood from the whole race. It looked like the engine came apart and took the rear tires out. There are now two changes going into effect. New tires from Goodyear and there is going yo be a mandatory cage made for the rear tires on AA dragsters and AA funny cars. It so sad I have follow Darrell for years.