Bad Antenna?

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a Humminbird DC25 Marine VHF and a Tram 1607-HC 46-Inch VHF Marine Antenna. Receives but doesn't transmit. Indicator on display shows transmitting, I can hear a static sound on my handheld on each channel I try when releasing transmit button on the Humminbird. Connections and antenna appear to be OK no corrosion, frarying, etc. . Followed suggestion from a YouTube video, at least the part about pulling the antenna connector and inserting the pin (don't have test instruments). I noted that there was no difference in the reception with or without the antenna plugged in. Time for a new antenna? Thanks
IMG_20220414_093639392.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
If the fixed unit was working, and if you know your handheld is good, then the fixed unit has failed and needs repaired or replaced

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a fiberglass antenna is usually just a wire, a connector, and a piece of brass tube inside the antenna of a certain length. at least that is all I find in them when I forget to put the antenna down for bridges......

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the fixed unit was working, and if you know your handheld is good, then the fixed unit has failed and needs repaired or replaced
Handheld is new so I presume it's working. Before getting the handheld, I've never had the chance to test the fixed unit other than trying to raise someone on the lake. Never got any responses to my radio checks. Very few people using VHF on the these local lakes anymore.

alldodge

Staff member
If the antenna connector doesn't have any of the shield braid shorting to the center conductor, I would guess its the radio. I have replaced a few thru the years

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Could be either component, but I’m guessing the radio since it receives.

Then again, a radio is only as good as the antenna. Wouldn’t put much faith in the one you linked too

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Radio was the problem. We're working now. So now the "world" can hear me. Which leads me to my next question: My boat is 17 foot bass boat. I use exclusively on the artificial lakes in the Phoenix, AZ area such as Bartlett Lake. There is no U.S.C.G. presence here. The local sheriff AZ Game & Fish and National Forests do not monitor channel 16 24/7 if at all. As far as I can ascertain, I am not required to have an MMSI number. I have determined that I have the electronics required to activate and use my AIS feature. Is there much point in obtaining my MMSI number, given my situation?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Assuming you have two way AIS, it simply broadcasts your boat name and current position. It’s does not support emergency services requests

In an emergency, you activate DSC feature which broadcast an SOS along with your current position to the coast guard and all boaters within range.

You need to register and get a MMSI number to utilize either system

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with Ding but will add, if something happened and you sounded an sos I doubt anyone would come running. I monitor and would but were the one in a thousand or more on inland lakes.

Get it if you wish, it won't hurt

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it was easy enough to obtain an MMSI number so I'm going to go ahead and make the connection. A Uniden UM385 to a Lowrance Elite 5. A lot of wires but it looks like yellow to yellow and blue to green Should do the trick?

Attachments

• Lowrance acc.jpg
    Lowrance acc.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3
  • UM385 acc.jpg
    UM385 acc.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 3

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it was easy enough to obtain an MMSI number so I'm going to go ahead and make the connection. A Uniden UM385 to a Lowrance Elite 5. A lot of wires but it looks like yellow to yellow and blue to green Should do the trick?
Must be; It's working.
Thanks to all who answered me on this thread. Hope I never need to send that distress call.