Backing up an incline

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Backing up an incline

The transmission on the gmc truck he owns is a 4l60E and is designed to tow in OD.Look at what it says in the owners manual. I have a suburban with the same drivetrain and have towed both my boats in OD. My truck has over 100k on it and I have had no problems. The first thing I did when I knew I was going to be towing a heavy boat was by a aftermarket tranny pan with a oil plug and start changing my tranny fluid evry 20-30k.<br />Maybe I am just lucky I don't know but it works for me.<br />I did this on the advise of my father who has worked for as a tech GM and been to The GM factory run schools for over 30 years.

fireman57

Captain

SeaTrek you know what to listen and look for. Most people don't. If you would (like you stated) tow in OD all the time you would not have a transmission left. <br />bluewater, you know what needs to be done but most people won't do it. They just want to get in and go.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Don't forget, when in overdrive you're giving up engine braking.<br /><br />I recommend following the advice in the owner's manual.