Backing up an incline

Jzervos

Cadet
I store my boat on a driveway that is higher than the street level. I live in Florida, and most of the homes are built above street level because we do not have sewers in my area. The driveway is not terribly steep, and I am not backing it up a long distance, but I feel like what I am doing is not a good thing. I am towing a 16ft Sportcraft center console, with a 120 Johnson on a new galvinized Continental Trailer. Single axle, dual bunk. I am not sure, but I don't think the weight exceeds 2000lbs. The tow vehicles used are a 01 Ford Excursion with V-8 plus a tow package, and 2000 GMC 1500 5.4 liter V-8 with an aftermarket hitch. Just recently I had to replace the transmission in the GMC, was told the mechanism that lubricates the transmission seized, therefore all the gears were shot. The pan was removed and was full of metal shavings. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Backing up an incline

You get the most heat to a transmisson from backing up. Have you got the large cooler on the tranny or do you have the small one. If you are backing up an incline I would recommend the bigger cooler for this and make the back up as quickly as possible.<br />If you are towing in overdrive with your set up this is bad to. I would recommend a temp gauge to be installed for the tranny and service it on a regular basis.

JRJ

Commander

If you take care of your trans, I don't see how a little backup could hurt it. I worked autos in steep country, foreward and backward with heavy loads, for many years. We always were over a 100,000 miles before they went out. But they will fail, even with regular 20,000 mi service, sooner or later if worked hard.

Jzervos

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions, the trannies on both have only been serviced once, both vehicles are very low mileage for their age, the Ford has about 56k, and the GMC has about 30. The incline is only about 35ft, but I can tell the trucks work harder. I do tow in overdrive, and I feel the Ford performs better, where the GMC lags before it shifts.

Bondo

Staff member

John,<br />It Appears that You're looking to Lay Blame........<br /><br />I Really Doubt that backing a little boat like that, uphill for 35' is the Reason your tranny Blew..........<br /><br />At 30,000 miles, I'm guessing that it's a Warranty Issue........<br />Sometimes, you Can't lay the Blame....... As you Know,...Sometimes, $h!t Just Happens........

fireman57

Captain

Never tow in overdrive. That will eat your tranny in short order. Always tow in D.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When the aftermarket hitch was installed I doubt that a transmission cooler was included. You should be able to back it up without problem with either rig. <br /><br />If you are really concerned.... you could install a front ball hitch on a vehicle. Uncpouple the boat and push it up the driveway even with more control.<br /><br />Bob

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I'll go with the *&it happens theory on this one. Those vehicles can tow 2k with ease.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

A factory installed tow package always includes a transmission cooler. I recommend getting one as well as a front mounted hitch. Also, they tell me it is really important to perform the regular transmission service. Especially with the new, fancy shmancy computer controlled transmissions in newer vehicles.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

i'm of the opinion that your troubles arose from towing in overdrive,and not from the amount of backing up hill which you did.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the mechanic said "the mechanism that lubricates the transmission seized" he more than likely meant the front pump which is driven by the torque converter. If that's the case, towing did not do the damage. The pump supplies the pressure to control the servos which actuate the bands and clutches. The pump doesn't know whether the wheels are in the air, whether there is a 10,000 pound trailer in tow, or which gear is selected. It's merely supplying hydraulic fluid under pressure. It failed simply because "stuff happens". When it failed, the clutches slip due to low/no servo pressure.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br /> i'm of the opinion that your troubles arose from towing in overdrive,and not from the amount of backing up hill which you did.
Here too, sound all to familiar.

bbalcer

Seaman

Why is more heat generated in reverse (or is it comparing reverse to overdrive instead of first)? Is it roughly the same gearing ratio as say 1st gear? I notice that while backing up, the truck is at higher RPM than when in drive, but thought it was due to being in a lower gear.<br /><br />I too back a boat up about a 25% grade only for 20 feet or so. The boat is a 17.5' aluminum deep V with a 100+ OB. I've got a Titan with big tow and am tossing around the idea of welding up a front hitch to bolt on to the tow hook mounts. Any thoughts.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Forget the rpm comparison when backing up than in any other gear - the gear ratio is different (not much, but different). You are also worrying far too much about backing up an incline. That action is placing no more stress or heat on the transmission than sitting at a traffic light waiting for a green light. Think about it! When stopped, the engine is running, the drive shaft is not turning, so all the slippage is in the torque converter. Its designed to do that so don't fret about it. Besides, without a transmission temperature gauge, how do you know you building up more than the normal amount of heat.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I back a 7,200 lb boat/trailer combination up a driveway - no problem yet, done it a hundred or so times. I can't imagine 50 feet in reverse being harder on a vehicle than 67 miles in forward. :rolleyes: <br /><br />The trailer brakes aren't locking when you back up are they?

bbalcer

Seaman

In my case, the Titan has a tranny temp gauge (good one on Nissan). I've never really tested the Titan (auto) yet with the boat since its been cold and I just got the truck. With my old truck (manual) I had to use a bunch of the clutch to back the truck up (3.1 rear end). I guess in hindsight the backing up won't hurt anything...that still isn't under warranty. My boat is much smaller than that 7200lb that rwidman has. I had been tossing the idea of making a front hitch and just wanted a reason to buy some steel and fire up the welder....lol.

rwidman

Lieutenant

.... tossing around the idea of welding up a front hitch to bolt on to the tow hook mounts. Any thoughts.
The last thing I want to do after a day or two on the water and a 67 mile tow in the dark is to get home and have to unhook and then rehook the trailer to get it into the driveway. It's bad enough to unload it and flush the engine and trailer brakes. :eek: <br /><br />If you have disk brakes on the trailer you're gonna need a five pin connector on the front of the tow vehicle with the appropriate pin wired into your backup light circuit in order to lock out the brakes. In some cases there's a pin you can insert to do the same thing.

SeaTrek

Cadet

<<Never tow in overdrive. That will eat your tranny in short order. Always tow in D.>><br /><br />I tow 7,200 pounds 400 miles with a Ram 2500 with the Cummins and 4 speed automatic.<br />The torque converter is the lockout type.<br />Unless I am up to highway speeds of 55 or more, the transmission stays in D. After that I shift it into overdrive and crank up to 65. If a steep uphill grade comes up, I know when to shift back to D before the stupid ecm computer controlled tranny has a fit and wants to shift to passing gear which really makes the engine go spastic and rev to 3500 which is too close to the max operating rpm's of this engine.<br />At 65mph in overdrive, the engine turns 2250 rpm.<br />At 65mph in D, the engine turns 2800 rpm.<br />At 65mph in ecm controlled overdrive.. 3300rpm.<br />In my case, I get better mileage by using overdrive when the situation warrants it and shifting back to D before the ecm decides to do stupid stuff.<br />88,000 miles and no problems yet.<br />The truck manufacturers really need to work on this problem. The lockout torque converter on my truck helps, but the ecm's for both the engine and tranny have serious drawbacks.