Backing trailer

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I subjected my 16 year old to the joys of backing the boat trailer this week. I hopped out of the vehicle and told him "small correction" and "use your mirrors". First time out he backs it in like a pro. Gave him the job 3 times this week and he performed better than some 40 year veterans I know. A few more outings and he will be better than me (not that I am great). Probably created a monster. Now that he can get it in and out himself he probably won't even need the "old man" to come along. Oh well.

James Bond

Seaman
Re: Backing trailer

Practice Practice Practice!!! It's embarassing to see some of these people who use the entire 3 lane boat ramp trying to get the trailer in the water.....at least you know your son won't be one of them!<br /><br />I learned how to tow when I was 18, I worked at the local airport, and would tow airplanes and jets everywhere.....then I started at the International airport, where I'd tow the bigguns! I still to this day can't back up my fathers lawn trailer on the back of the cub cadet, though!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Be thankful. I wish someone else in my family could back a trailer--anyone! I get tired of running to and from the truck.

your not suppossed to use the entire 3 lane ramp? So that's what all the evil looks were for!

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

That cub cadet story reminds me of earlier this summer, taught my 13 year old to back a lawn trailer behind a cub, had a hard time, I told him if you master that you will be able to back anything up.<br /><br />DougV>

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

LF is much better at backing the trailer than me. That's just fine with me. Sometimes it's fun to mess with her when she's trying to get close to the edge of the drive way. I stand in back and yell directions, she thinks I'm helping so she watches me instead of using her mirrors. I push her until I start laughing then I get the hell out of the way 'cause that trailer gets pulled forward and then backed up at about 30 MPH.