backfire through carb

Davidmerc140

Cadet
I have a Merc cruiser 140 #3681706 and I'm getting
back fire through my carb, I rebuild a carburetor , change the fuel pump change the spark plugs, and check the timing. I've determined I have a leak in my exhaust manifold which I sealed I sealed it to determine whether the leak was the problem. after reinstalling the exhaust manifold I still have the same problem of backfire the carb I'm stumped I'm not sure what the problem is I don't seem to have any intake leaks

86 century

Ensign
Re: backfire through carb

Have you run a compression test on the eng.
Made sure the firing order is correct.

Does it backfire all the time or just under certain loads.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a Merc cruiser 140 #3681706 and I'm getting
back fire through my carb, I rebuild a carburetor , change the fuel pump change the spark plugs, and check the timing. I've determined I have a leak in my exhaust manifold which I sealed I sealed it to determine whether the leak was the problem. after reinstalling the exhaust manifold I still have the same problem of backfire the carb I'm stumped I'm not sure what the problem is I don't seem to have any intake leaks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Generally speakin',... Backfires through the carb are caused by a Lean condition...

Davidmerc140

Cadet

Well the carb seem to be in good condition and the adjustmests were pretty straight forward ....

Oshkosh1

Ensign

When does it backfire?

Is it running?

Is it occuring at startup/shutdown/during operation/under load/acceleration?

Take a can of starting fluid and spray around...a little at a time so you can determine the spot if necessary...to look for possible leaks.

If it's running you might do a vaccuum check also.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Don't get sidetracked. The manifold is not the problem. Check for air leaks, under carb, intake, fuel restriction.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

The reason i asked how he fixed it is becouse he could be sucking air in on the intake side.........Thru a botched up repair.

Thats not a sidetrack in my book!

Good Luck David!

Davidmerc140

Cadet

Well as i checked the compression in engine I realized I had had to disconect fuel and fire to plugs and decided to wait till the morning ,I decided i had time to turn distributer just a hair to line it up with first plug at tdc and i got it to run with no backfire . I still need to check the compression and timing adjust the carb and so i will keep you guys updated far from fixed thanks for the replys