Back with another question

Mbalafas

Cadet
Just bought an 86 bayline capri with volvo penta 270. Tried to lower the o/b yesterday, could hear the motor run but the o/b wouldn't move up or down. The engine was not running when I attempted this. So question is what should I do to determine the cause of the failure and what could be the worst case scenario for repairs. Also please understand that this is my 1st boat so my knowledge is amateur at best. Thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
you know I can’t remember if the old 270 is just into the hydraulic era or still like the older electric VP’s. But I think it’s hyd.
If it is then best case things to try is checking there is oil in the old presto pump unit. If it’s what I think it is then the only way to tell is by undoing the metal burred hand screw to check. The oil level needs to be at the level of that screw. If it’s empty or pumping air, it should make a very obvious noise though. Is there signs of oil leaking at the rams perhaps, if there is oil in it ?
other issue these have is worn ball valves in the pump.

if I’m wrong and it is electric after all, then check the gear for wear.

Mbalafas

Cadet
The system is a worm gear driven by a small electric motor. As I stated I can hear the motor spin bit nothing happens. If I understand what your saying for checking the oil level is to remove the assembly via the 2 Allen screws and see if the oil is at the rim?

kenny nunez

Captain
While someone presses the toggle switch to lower the drive push down on the drive to see if it will move. There is no hydraulic fluid with that model. There was a hydraulic tilt-trim model which was called a 200,250 or 270 with the “T” behind the model #. The newer style of trim-tilt in the late 70s was the 280 style which was completely different than the earlier “T” model.
Hopefully the push rod that is holding the drive up is not bent, that can happen but rarely.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok. So it’s the electric system, like I maybe suspected. As said above. Have a helper move the trim whilst you watch the mechanism. Is the heat worm

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey Mbalafas you may want to look at the 270 service manual. http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/aq270drive.html#/0

However keep in mind your 35/36 year old bayliner will have many problems. Before sinking money in it, I would check the stringers for rot. if you have a 125 or 140 motor, remember, parts are getting hard to come by for them

Hey kenny nunez , need some assistance with a 35/36 year old VP 270 trim.

kenny nunez

Captain
How much does the transom “flex” when you push down on the drive. That vintage of Bayliners were not known for their build quality.
Are the nuts inside loose that hold the transom shield to the transom? If so you have a lot of other problems like Scott said.

Mbalafas

Cadet
Ok so far pulled the heat exchanger off cause found a sizable hole under the exhaust manifold in the cooling line. Pulled the trim moto and it runs good and strong. So now I'm trying to disassemble the lift assembly so I can take a look and see if I can figure out what the issue is. Before taking it off I attempted with a fresh battery to trim the drive with no success

Mbalafas

Cadet
So how boned am i? Wont let me post a photo but at the bottom of the shaft is a threaded fitting that is pretty well destroyed

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have to resize your photos. Email them to yourself and drop to 25%. Covered in the photo tutprial in the rules and guidlines forum

Mbalafas

Cadet
Ok here are the pics

Attachments

• photo328768.jpg
    photo328768.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 0
  • photo328769.jpg
    photo328769.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 0

Mbalafas

Cadet
I've seen that. I found a site that seems to sell parts for the assembly separately. Need to research if that's doable. If I understood better exactly how this thing work would help me understand how much more I need to check :grumpy:

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is a major problem. The ram makes contact with the broken off arm to lift the drive. Your tilt system is made to tilt/raise the drive only. It's not for trim. The housing with the motor has a cone clutch in it and can be taken apart and probably cleaned up and adjusted to work if the end of the ram is ok. The part broken off the suspension fork is major problem, and makes rebuilding the clutch moot. Google Search volvo penta #876168. It also appears you are missing the pressure plate that screws on the end of the ram. Probably Volvo penta #814219, which may not fit cause the end of the shaft is tweaked.

Last edited:

Mbalafas

Cadet
Ok so at this point I've placed a (new to me lift assembly) on order. Will need to order a new water supply tube as the one I have has a sizable hole in it. The brass water pump has been rebuilt and put back on. Need to order a new strainer housing and then address the mysteriously named part that I posted above. Then well get to other issues. Owning a boat may kill me