baby king cobra pinion shaft

justin neally

Recruit
Does anyone know what the part number for the Johnson shaft that works in the lower unit for the 460 king cobra or know where to get an original?

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone know what the part number for the Johnson shaft that works in the lower unit for the 460 king cobra or know where to get an original?
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... As far as I know, it's unobtaineum,.....
Obsolete,.... Used is probably the only shot,....

justin neally

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... As far as I know, it's unobtaineum,.....
Obsolete,.... Used is probably the only shot,....
I read on sterndrive parts.com that they use a Johnson 300hp shaft that is modified to work in the place of the original

Bondo

Staff member
I don't believe so, but maybe,..... give it a couple days,....

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I've only seen two in the wild, both were non running and I refused to work on em

Told the customers if they're interested in a full mercruiser repower I could help. They ran away

There may be some guys around that still work on em but they're few and far between. Parts availability is a major hangup with those drives, including the full line of omc sterndrives

justin neally

Recruit
I've only seen two in the wild, both were non running and I refused to work on em

Told the customers if they're interested in a full mercruiser repower I could help. They ran away

There may be some guys around that still work on em but they're few and far between. Parts availability is a major hangup with those drives, including the full line of omc sterndrive
Cobra parts are pretty easy to come by because Volvo Penta and Johnson are pretty to easy to come buy and they share a lot of part numbers and most of the king cobra stuff is relatively easy but this shaft was only used in kc behind the 460 big block the baby king and hasn't been produced since 94 when they quit using it I have done a fair bit of research before this last attempt I was just looking to see if someone had some used parts laying around before I take mine to a machine shop and have it custom made

dubs283

Vice Admiral
before I take mine to a machine shop and have it custom made

If youre considering custom prices you should consider a complete new repower. Custom is nice but does it have a warranty?

If you can get cobra parts from volvo or brp that's awesome. My experience with og omc motors/drives has been with much resistance in regards to obtaining the correct quality parts

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There used to be a custom gear and shaft shop in Elgin Illinois that was a bunch of old OMC machinist. They used to make replacement shafts. That's where I got a bunch of parts for the Obsolete Marine drive I had.

However that was 25 years ago and the guys were in their late 60s then.

Maybe reach out to the guys at T&C (sterndrive.info)