Babies on Boats

debo1683

Cadet
Re: Babies on Boats

We have had our 8 moth old out on the boat several times. We learned very quickly that the bimini is a must with the little one on the boat. She likes to swim in the lake with us too, with a pfd on. She also enjoys floating on the tube when we are anchored. She tends to make the trips a little bit shorter, but will fall asleep while underway. My wife and I plan to have a boat for a very long time, so we figure get her comfortable early, and continue to take her.

We have taken the car seat before and set her in it, but we do not buckle her. We wouldn't be able to buckle it with her pfd on anyhow. That way if she is asleep, we can just leave her in the shade.

Taking a baby is a little extra prep, but I like having her on the water.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

In my early adult years, we used to load up the boat, drive 100 miles to the lake, ride/ski all day and drive home getting back @ 10:00 p.m. This kind of boating is not for young children--but a form of torture. I've never been as tired as after spending such a day at the lake.

Now that I'm grown (after living in 3 major cities), we choose to boat out our front door. My 23 year old daughter potty trained on our pontoon boat--and we still have the same boat she learned to drive when she was 3 1/2 years old. She continues to drive her "old friend" around.

Everyone's situation is different. Please keep your eyes open to the limitations of your family. Sometimes they act like they're having a good time, but sometimes it's just too much.

Remember that babysitters sometimes allow you to have a better time on the water--and you need to get away from your babies to recharge your batteries.

Ithica DB

Seaman

We have been boating with the kids since 6mnts old and probably been sooner if one hadn't been born in Dec. Hold them or in a car seat with you holding them. I would have died well before my kid could have, have faith in your yourself and go boating. My kids are much older and still wear a ski belt to swim in the lake, start it early and don't let there pier pressure change your rules.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a matter of fact, the baby makes for a good reason to upgrade boats

This is exactly what we just did. last year we had small bow rider and we really used it alot (easy, but alot) while she was prego and never affected her, even in the 4 footers we fished through. Now we just picked up the cuddy in my sig last saturday and this will be our first time with our 6 month old son too. I tought both our girls (now 13 & 9) to swim in our pool as soon as they were able to and I'm sure our boy will be the same way. Our problem is the ever fast changing Lake Erie can go from smooth to 5-7 footers in no time and when you can barely see the shore, it can be alittle scary for the kids and momma. Good luck.

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow, a cuddy upgrade would be awesome, but a very tough sell even with the little one! I'm just excited to add a couple of swim platforms...

We've been talking more about this lately and I'm listening to her, and bouncing you ideas (sun, PFD, slow at first...) around with her. Things are going very well, but I'm NOT going for a bigger boat!

<yet>

CHAD

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

My son was born on June 28th and he was on the water July 7th. He had an infant life jacket on. They're pretty much a baby straight jacket that happens to float. He fell asleep about 10 minutes out, and woke up crying the second I shut the motor off when we got back to our dock.

His first word - "boat". It came out "o", but we knew EXACTLY what he was talking about!

His first two word phrase - "boat ride". No question, a River Rat in the making...

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

These subjects need to be addressed carefully, now with that being said....have you tried to bribe the wife yet?

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can say that I think I might be in a better situation than I thought. Last time we were out fishing my wife says to me from the rear casting deck " you know you new boat has to be bigger, and have more seats." I was completely floored, I said that I was not giving up my fishing boat for a pontoon, she says " No Dumb A** Like that ranger fish and ski that you were looking at last month, It would have enough room for the kids to be in the floor but not in the way and you could put a top on it for the back of the boat."

I asked when this purchase took place, she told me to wait until the un-conceived child was born. I asked why isnt today just as good as tomorrow.

I got the the stare...lol...

But it is a great start,
this is what I was looking at http://www.rangerboats.com/models.cfm?gid=32&mid=6002#|gallery

BosnBill

Banned

I've had a baby on board twice and both times we didn't leave the slip. I'm talking about my grandkids and we didn't start taking them out until they had attained the legal age of one and could at least walk. They're both very fair skinned so we slathered sunblock all over them, put tiny life jackets on them (got to have those!) and they stayed close to mommy who was also wearing a life jacket. Now the oldest is four and he loves to fish, dive off the swim platform and make motorboat noises at the helm. A couple new boaters in the making. ;)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Remember that babysitters sometimes allow you to have a better time on the water--and you need to get away from your babies to recharge your batteries.

In my humble old fashioned opinion, you just hit on one of the problems with society today. When I was a youngin never ONCE did I have a babysitter. If my parents couldn't take me they didn't go. (BTW, I'm 62 now). When my boys were young, ONLY once was a babysitter used, and that was Grandma for 3 hours with the two year old when we went to Great Grandpas' funeral. The 5 year old went with us.

If the wife and I had gone boating without the kids, I just wouldn't have had a good time, knowing that we left them behind. My belief is that if you don't feel kids are a 100% proposition, maybe you shouldn't have them.

The fondest memories of my entire life is being bundled up in an old cork life jacket, sitting on Grandmas lap, watching Dad and Grandpa drive the boat. My kids enjoyed the same.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used to take my great neice out on the boat all the time. We made sure she had a good life vest, and kept her under the Bimini for most of the day. even had her in the water swimming around at 6 months. With close adult supervision of course... Just make it for short trips and take all necessary precautions.

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, they can be quite tasty if prepared properly.

(that was a really bad thing to say, wasn't it)

SO WRONG! But, hilarious, I love a twisted sense of humor.