Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Had to pull my boat out today to repair the coolant hose on the port outdrive. No big deal right? My bro-inlaw came down to help me (& use his truck), had a friends trailer. Back trailer in, bust a nut winching 10,000 lbs of boat up on the trailer. Hook up safety chain (questioned clevis to myself). He goes to pull it out, stops (for god only knows why) & starts to roll backwards. Not knowing he's going backwards, hits the gas (at which point I'm screaming for him to stop, cuz I can see what's comin) & takes off forward. The sudden jerk snaps the winch cable, snaps the clevis & boat says " see ya" & takes off, off the back of the trailer. The starboard outdrive caught the concrete & stopped the boat halfway off the trailer. After about 4 hrs of hard work & many winches, friends & railroad ties I'm finally able to get the boat back in the water & all the way on the trailer. I then pull the boat out, repair coolant hose, replace destroyed prop (that's only a month old), look at destroyed skeg & decide no major damage.
Put boat back in & took for a ride. So far so good.
Seems it only broke the skeg & prop on starboard outdrive. talk about lucky

rndn

Commander
Re: Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

You're lucky things didn't get a lot worse.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry about the misfortune. It could have been a lot worse though!:redface:

Mike V

Cadet

WOW;
Heart attack waiting to happen!:eek:

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Whats a clevis?

clevis

SYLLABICATION: clev?is
PRONUNCIATION: klvs
NOUN: A U-shaped metal piece with holes in each end through which a pin or bolt is run, used as a fastening device.
ETYMOLOGY: From clevi, possibly of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse klofi, cleft. .

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sorry about your bad day. As you say, it could have been a lot worse !!!

dhath

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad all ended good!!!........... But today has been no better for me.... Glad this day is over!!

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Definately could have been worse. Had it come all the way off I would've had to hire a crane to pick it up:eek:

Everything seems ok, was out all afternoon diving & she didn't give me any probs.

redfury

Commander

Makes one think that there has to be a stronger way to secure the bow eye to the trailer.

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Makes one think that there has to be a stronger way to secure the bow eye to the trailer.

My 2nd try i used a 10,000lb ratchet strap from port cleat, down under tongue of trailer to strbrd. cleat & tightened it up. That was with the winch & chain also. She wasn't going anywhere that time. & if I ever trailer it out again I'll use that big ratchet strap just for extra security.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

all the posts in this forum have stories about brother in laws......

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

if I ever trailer it out again I'll use that big ratchet strap just for extra security.
If I were you, I'd use that big strap to tie the BIL to the hood while YOU drive the truck.

MacGizmo

Cadet

You are very lucky......hope you don't get any other problems

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to hear that. It's to bad the in law didn't follow directions in the first place, he must not of had any experience on pulling the boat out. I would of probably had a heart of attack personally be my luck. Here you all take care of the mess I got to continue croaking :D. Oh gees didn't see that somebody revived an old post that's bad.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did the same thing with a roller trailer, and a winch that for some reason did not lock.