B.A.R.F.ing dog diet

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class
O.K. i'll bite, 18Rabbit. Whats the scoop?<br /> I just finished reading an article that the author reccomends feeding less than 6% protein to dogs, has to do with kidney funtion. That 6% # does'nt semm logical to me, after all most wild dogs eat mostly meat.<br /> I feed our dog and new pup purina high pro. It was the only dry food at a reasonable price that listed the first ingredient as a meat product. They have 24/7 access to it.<br /> Be nice to feed them what has been proven to keep them healthy, at a reasonable price. The barf diet is for pups? untill their hip growth is finished?<br /> Lots of silly info. on dog diets, such as an article I read about poisonous foods. Grapes were listed. My dog LOVES grapes, shes been eating them for 4 years? Anyway, I have a new pup that supposedly has a golden ret. for a mother and a yellow lab as father, both breeds have a high incedent of hip problems, so i'd like to help the pup with that potential problem.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: B.A.R.F.ing dog diet

Bigfun,<br />Might want to think twice about leaving food out 24/7 with the lab mix. Once grown, those dogs will eat themselves into obesity quick.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I'm with Joe,<br /><br />I have a 1 1/2yr old golden and 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night and she is fine. Plenty of dog sheet created so all is obviously going well.<br /><br />Hip displacia is genetic to the best of my knowledge and not related to diet. High protein is good for the first 8-12 months but then re-evaluate its diet based on activity and growth.<br /><br />Just my 2 cents.

salty87

Commander

nah, my male lab only eats when he's hungry. it's the spayed females you have to watch out for.<br /><br />i avoid the grocery store foods, too much junk in them. lots of problems with food allergies when feeding those foods. i feed mine lamb and rice, can't think of the brand name. sometimes, you get the best deal at the feed store.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 4yr. old, spayed, chessy/black lab. mix. She has the run of "her" property, aprox. 10 acres. She weights 75#'s. Her vet. always comments on how nice it is to see a dog thats not overweight. She was the runt of the litter but the best/smartest dog i've ever owned.<br /><br />The overweight issue IMO has more to do with to much "people food", lack of exercize, boredom, or maybe the dog is just a pig. As the owner you have to find what works. All the dogs i've had have had food 24/7 and have never been kenneled or tied up, this has worked so far. I guess you just have feed accordingly to what your dog can handle.<br /><br />POINTER94, 18Rabbit had some info. on hip displasia that was related to nutrition and it perked my interest. I also beleive(d) that it was hereditary.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Dogs are different for sure, My mini pin can't eat anything with high fat content, or she hurls.<br />We have her on Science diet's "Sensitive stomach" formula, and it is rationed. If left to her own devices, she would eat until she exploded.<br />As it is, she still occasionally finds something other than food, throws up from time to time.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Some pups, my Roxxi Blu anyway, can be very sensitive to diet. We brought Roxxi (spayed fem black lab)home at 6 weeks, just off the teat and getting on dry food. Breeder suggested Eukanuba. Rox did not like that, bloody stools, regurg., etc.etc.<br /><br />Our vet directed us to Fromm. Roxxi is fine with it, for six plus years now.<br /><br />One note! Our trusty vet, great person and expert, retired. New vet upon Roxxi routine exam suggested reduced fat, etc. Fromm 'cause Roxxi is kinda fat, obsesed with food. <br /><br />After several weeks regurg showed up, blood in urine, lethargy, etc. Concerned, trip to new vet., "must run tests" we were told. Hoping not cancer or other tumors.<br /><br />Be mindfull that Roxxi is now just shy of six years old. Ran a bunch of tests to the tune of $600++. Still no conclusive diagnosis. Vet is indicating invasive surgical exploration. We are giving seriouse consideration to euthanizing Roxxi. <br /><br />We (lovely Bride and I) decide to switch Roxxi back to original Fromm diet. She is fine now. Vet was fired by us.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a local dog food place here at home and all my dogs get 21% protein food.

Link

Rear Admiral

No doubt that trends can be found in different breeds on eating habits. But I think each situation will be a little different.<br /><br />My wife adopted a stray cat that was starving and we left food out 24/7 and she never over ate.<br />A year later I picked up two dogs from the humane soc.<br />Hector: A doby/hound mix<br />Jake: A golden lab/great dane mix<br /><br />Since the cats food was already out we did the same with the dogs. For the first two weeks they ate like pigs but once they found out it was always going to be there they started only eating when hungry. Both grew to 120 lbs and stayed right there.<br />Daily treats while preparing food was a must for them. Raw veggies from potatoes to carrots and brockley. <br />Special treats mabe once every two weeks.<br />Hector a broken raw egg. Jake wouldnt touch it.<br />Jake a ice cube! Hector knew better :) <br />Both dogs lived to be 16 years old and the cat 17 years.<br />Our vet was surprized about them not over eating and said to feed them as many veggies as they would eat.

LubeDude

Admiral

I will interject something here. if you happen to have an older dog that is prone to getting, (Hot Spots), Places where the hair falls out and they itch like crazy, the single most normal reason for it is too much protein in the food. Had a Golden retreiver that had those sometimes and had a guy tell me that one time. sure enough, I cut down on the protein and they went away. He suggested no more than 18%.<br /><br />Only dog I have now is a Beany Baby type stuffed Hound dog in the corner of the dash in my truck, his name is Barffey the hunting dog.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

LD, might be so in some dogs, but I have had German Shepards, Rotts, Jack Russells, and Poodles and it never hurt none of them.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Bigfun:<br /> That 6% # does'nt semm logical to me, after all most wild dogs eat mostly meat.
As I understand it, carnivores drink the blood of their prey and eat the stomach contents before moving on to the meat. More of a balanced diet. I've had dogs that would eat anything that hit the floor, onions, carrots, anything, on the theory that it might be food, and if it turns out not to be, you can always throw it up later. My present dog is a bit pickier. <br /><br />Strangest thing, I can offer a cheeseburger to this dog (big yellow dog about 70 lbs), and he will ginger take the edge of it in his mouth. Just takes a small bite and lets me take the rest of it back! He'll even eat from a fork, without biting down on the fork.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good point jtexas, I failed to link what I have seen in the woods and along the roads with my comment. That gives credence to the article I read on the subject of to much protein.<br /> One of the first lessons I teach our dogs is to very gently take food from our hand, after they sit. To lessons in one. Well behaved dogs are a joy to be around and for the most part represent good training. Children also.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> LD, might be so in some dogs, but I have had German Shepards, Rotts, Jack Russells, and Poodles and it never hurt none of them.
I never said to quit feeding your dogs all the protein you want, I only said that if they have hot spots that that may be the cause and to lower the amount of protein for awhile and see.<br /><br />Anit it funny what some of us read into what we actually write??? :confused: