AVON searider fiber fab.

REN_IBOAT

Cadet
Hi all.

I have just bought my childhood dream, an old AVON searider. There is a small problem though.. I drove 500miles to see it, and when I got there I found this:

101_0913.jpg
d

I still bought the boat though, as the price where quite OK, but how do I fix it. can I peal the tubes away in that region only, and expect a reglue to last after i have fixed the fiber? or is it a tubes away job altogether.

The grey patch seen is actually the only one i found on the entire boat, and the tubes has held air for 14 days now, so I am ecstatic.

Best regards
Rasmus

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: AVON searider fiber fab.

If you glue it properly and under the right conditions it will be as good as the original. I spent a day at the Avon plant in Wales 13 years ago...It wasn't a state of the art production facility:) What distingushed Avon at that time was the quality level of the base materials(superior to anyones) and quality control. The assembly process was no different than in a 3rd world country. Hand glued in an open window plant. Tis a shame Zodiac bought them and made them a single Hypalon layer boat.

REN_IBOAT

Cadet

Tis a shame Zodiac bought them and made them a single Hypalon layer boat.

Amen to that. I talked to AVON about my serial number, and the nice lady told me that "changes as of lately" has misplaced all the old AVON documents so they could not give me any info on my boat.
Apart from that I am amazed that an +25year old ex military boat still has fresh(soft and tight) tubes. I guess ill get some Bostik 2402 and start pealing away then. Thanks

R

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Get the tubes off in that area and have a good look-the Seariders are GRP laid up over marine ply. You DONT want water to get into the core.

REN_IBOAT

Cadet

Well.. today we began on the Searider "nosejob", and I think there ought to be a medal for people rescuing these old thingies from their sure demise.

I have decided to post pictures of the process as others might find them useful, and my intent is to follow up with progress as i go along.

nose:
1_100_1031_1.jpg

2_100_1034_2.jpg

3_100_1039_3.jpg

4_100_1040_4.jpg

5_100_1041_5.jpg

6_100_1045_6.jpg

R

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

This is going to be a really nice project to watch.

Thanks for posting photos.

REN_IBOAT

Cadet

Got the area cleaned up a bit, and started to craft a new nose section using the old one as a template.

14_100_1053.jpg

Apart from the nose, the hull has damage, or areas with "soft" fibre, in several parts of the entire front section.

15_100_1054.jpg

Now a lot of grinding awaits, and hopefully, if the weather holds out, a fresh layer of orange topcoat.

R

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good work and thank you for sharing! I look forward to seeing more.

REN_IBOAT

Cadet

Short update..

As a sort of Nemesis, the weather didn't corporate to say the least.. We have had one solid month of rain, Damn SUV?s :-(

Well, between showers fist layer of topcoat is on, but I have decided to "prematurely" start gluing the tubes back on while I still can find a warm day of low humidity before the winter, so bear with the look of things.. Finishing/sanding and buffing of second layer of topcoat will have to wait as it is not so sensitive to moisture and can be competed later on.

16_100_1069.jpg

17_100_1070.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Great to see you back at iboats REN_IBOAT! I was afraid we would not get to see the progress in your project. :D

It is really looking good, and I am glad in spite of the weather you have gotten this far. Can't wait to see it finished and doing it's first wet test.

I hear you with the weather situation! :mad:

What it doesn't dump on you it has been dumping on us. What a crappy summer. :mad:

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Are you going to clean the topcoat off to glue the tubes back down to?

Looks good for being orange again. What paint did you use?

REN_IBOAT

Cadet

Its a Polyester resin with a Colour pigment.
I think it feels "coarse" in texture and I where a bit worried that too much pigment where added, but my brother whom applied the layer, assured me that its Ok. (And he works with the stuff everyday, so he?s probably right)

I am only sanding it of lightly to get a smooth surface for the glue to bond to.
The tubes are originally glued to the gelcoat, so I am not TO worried about "delamination"

R

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Like flowcoat then?

Personally I'd clean it off unless it's adhered to the GRP as well as the gelcoat was.That is the most stressed part of a rib and also the most reported place for tube failure to begin.

Take a look at this if you can view the video:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7588079.stm

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Like flowcoat then?

Personally I'd clean it off unless it's adhered to the GRP as well as the gelcoat was.That is the most stressed part of a rib and also the most reported place for tube failure to begin.

Take a look at this if you can view the video:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7588079.stm

:eek:

Glad to see it ended the way it did. Seems that the material didn't tear from the hull, but that the meterial itself tore. Scary stuff indeed.

REN_IBOAT

Cadet

Ouch. Scary.. And that?s the scenario that my mind had vividly envisioned even before atempting this job.. But if I sand it down, all the way to the bare fiber I am slightly worried about water intrusion to the core, and delamination/pest.. A rock and a hard place.

Have you or anyone else tried something similar, and would the advise be to clean it all off?

PS: Judging by the pictures alone, I think that what happende to that Ribcraft where that it landed stern heavy, slammed the front in the next wave and simply sheared the PVC in the front. Then off course the strips couldn?t hold the tubes anymore.. Actually from the look of things, the strips are still attached to the hull.

R

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

There's all sorts of theories as to what happened to that ribcraft but the Bristol Channel is one of the nastiest areas I've ever been out in and any boats used in it take a huge pounding. There can be no wind yet 8' chop.

It's probably worth a trip over to ribnet and asking the question as to how to go about reattaching the tubes.You'll be able to get the opinion of some people who actually build ribs for a living then.

REN_IBOAT

Cadet

Gluing finally done.. Pheew, Thank heaven for Indian summer.. Got two days now with 20?C, and nice and dry weather..

20_1084.jpg

19_1083.jpg

Nothing happend here ;-)

21_1085.jpg

As a curiosity I can inform those interested that i used approx 250g Bostik glue for the job.

BR
Rasmus

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Really neat job. You would never know it has ever had a repair. :rolleyes:

No get some "in the water" photos for us before winter hits! :D

REN_IBOAT

Cadet

I?m just finishing up on the rebuild on my 60HP Merc. at the moment.
Had a fried No. 1 Cylinder as they do...

My hope is it wont actually be much IN the water, once it?s in the water.. :D

R