Avon 3.50

xonid

Recruit
Hi all - First post.. wanted to share my experience and ask some questions...

I recently bought a Avon 3.50 on craigslist. I was an uninformed consumer at the time of purchase. I was told the inflatable was 2003 model, no patches, and no leaks. I figured it was a great deal for $600. It held air and looked good doing a once over at first glance.. but when i got it home and took a closer look... it had one patch on the tube, the floor had some small holes, and after some research, the serial number says it's a 1995. argh...:( my bad deal..

anyways.. I finally took it out last week, I inflated to what I thought was enough, but at full throttle (15hp Evinrude), the boat folded. Took it out of the water, cranked up my Train Horn compressor and pump it to where the tubes were pretty tight. At full throttle, I was all smiles :D.. it motored great.. with two adults, I estimate about 20 mph. I have no idea how much psi I put in it but apparently not enough to burst it.

So my question is.. does anyone know where I can get info on this 3.50. I can't find any reference to this model on line. What I really want is the recommend max psi. I've read 3psi is usually the max for inflatables but I have no idea what 3psi feel like on an inflatable. I also would like a foot pump recommendation to fully pressurize the tubes. I need something more portable than the compressor and the Avon pump is a bit pricey for me. I probably should get a gauge as well.

As for the small hole on the floor, any recommendation for repairing them? I bought some sealing tape and off course, used duct tape and it held but I would like a long term solution.

In the end.. despite my bad deal, I'm rather happy with the boat.. the portabilty of both the boat and engine is a great combination. As my friend described it, it's like a go-cart on the water..

Thanks in advance.. Great forum by the way..

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Avon 3.50

Congratulations on your purchase. I have 90 Avon 4.6 Supersport. Assume your model is similiar. Boat is Hypalon. Had many of the same problems on inflation when I first got my boat. Daughters didn't really appreciate it when we hit a wave and the boat folded up on them. I would recommend you get a gauge. Many peoplesay you don't need one, can manage by feel, they are correct, one you learn what the proper settings are. I purchased a Leafield gauge from NRS forabout $30. Your valves are probably Leafield A7's. You can also get generic gauges from West Marine or Boaters World. For inflation you want to inflate to about 2.5-3psi. Keel slightly higher. Keep in mind temp changes effect tube preassure, (another reason for a gauge). For assembly go over to RIB.Net and search for SIBs or Avon they hve some instructions over there. Rib.net is a UK sight.

Good Luck